Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EFU Canister filter killed all my fish

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • fshfrk
    replied
    Any updates on this Jenny? Did you test the tank for stray voltage?

    Leave a comment:


  • Nickintex
    replied
    Originally posted by imagirlgeek View Post
    And where would one obtain these scuds, MB? I'm liking the sound of this....:)
    Plants collected from Lake Houston or Lake Conroe are just crawling with them. Or you can order some here:

    Leave a comment:


  • imagirlgeek
    replied
    And where would one obtain these scuds, MB? I'm liking the sound of this....:)

    Leave a comment:


  • Mzungu
    replied
    Scuds are a freshwater gammarus species. Mini-shrimp, you could say. Fish love 'em (as food), and I think they're really cute and great at eating hair algae.

    Over the years, I've added them to a few tanks/containers I've had lying around to make sure the substrate or driftwood or whatever else I'm nervous about is okay to put into a "big" tank. If I see them breeding, then I'm satisfied that whatever it is is okay. I have also used snails, but I'm a planted tank person, and I know cichlid people usually aren't fans of snails. With scuds, you can be sure that they'll be a snack and won't overrun the tank and filters after the fish are put in.
    Last edited by Mzungu; 01-27-2010, 11:37 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Glass Onion
    replied
    Scuds? Do tell...what're those? I feel like a goober for not knowing

    Leave a comment:


  • Zulaab
    replied
    Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
    I use scuds for stuff like this. They're great indicators if anything's toxically wrong with the water, and after a couple weeks, the fish added to the tank will have a tasty, healthy snack.
    Good idea.. I figured a scaleless fish would know quicker than anything else out there :)

    Leave a comment:


  • Mzungu
    replied
    Originally posted by Zulaab View Post
    I dont like to say this.. once your tank is up and running and everything is good and going.. go buy a clown loach. Since they cannot handle anything when it comes to toxins in the water drop him/her in there at least a week before other fish go in there.. this will tell you if the water is safe....
    I use scuds for stuff like this. They're great indicators if anything's toxically wrong with the water, and after a couple weeks, the fish added to the tank will have a tasty, healthy snack.

    Leave a comment:


  • Zulaab
    replied
    I dont like to say this.. once your tank is up and running and everything is good and going.. go buy a clown loach. Since they cannot handle anything when it comes to toxins in the water drop him/her in there at least a week before other fish go in there.. this will tell you if the water is safe....

    Leave a comment:


  • fshfrk
    replied
    Cool!. May want the carbon checked also but wait till you get the necropsies results.

    Leave a comment:


  • Glass Onion
    replied
    I sent the body off to University of Ga at Athens. They do all the necropsies on the Georgia Aquarium fish, so at least I know they are well practised at it. It will get there before noon tomorrow.

    Leave a comment:


  • Darbex
    replied
    Thanks that was very useful article I never knew that

    Leave a comment:


  • Zulaab
    replied
    Originally posted by Darbex View Post
    Ok another question. If you say the smell of chlorine is really ammonia then why does it a bottle of ammonia smell different?
    Chlorine bottle you open up you have a low concentration of Ammonia. This smell is no where near the smell of concentrated Ammonia.

    Leave a comment:


  • wesleydnunder
    replied
    Originally posted by Darbex View Post
    Ok another question. If you say the smell of chlorine is really ammonia then why does it a bottle of ammonia smell different?
    Here you go, Brian...



    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Darbex
    replied
    Ok another question. If you say the smell of chlorine is really ammonia then why does it a bottle of ammonia smell different?

    Leave a comment:


  • Zulaab
    replied
    Originally posted by Darbex View Post
    So what is it that you smell when you open a bottle of chlorine bleach?
    What you are smelling is water vapors in the bottle that was trapped during filling. Water together with the air (contains Nitrogen) blends with the Chlorine, and turns into ??? If you guessed Ammonia NH3, you won the prize :) :) :) :)

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X