Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maxtor harddrive

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • cichlid1409
    replied
    sorry to hear about the maxtors delock but you should have asked around b4 buying junk. i would never buy a maxtor WD all the way.

    Leave a comment:


  • mgarrido
    replied
    I know that raid 5 is better than raid 1 but at least a raid 1 is better than nothing... and cheapest.

    Leave a comment:


  • Zulaab
    replied
    I am with Delock on this one..
    Western Digital drives have been getter to me over the years than any other drive manufacture.

    Western Digital black edition drives.. the way to go when you want to play with the big fish in the pond..




    Now if you are looking for the ultimate in NAS / Storage and protection here is the route to go .. price wise that is.

    http://www.directron.com/tr8mb.html / http://www.sansdigital.com/towerraid/tr8mb.html

    8 1.5T drives... = 12 Tb storage.. Raid 5 with 1.5tb drives and you still at 10.5 TB of storage with redundancy..

    Leave a comment:


  • Delock
    replied
    Originally posted by andrewh View Post
    Thanks for the heads up!

    I have a slightly older 200gb Maxtor and will start backing up my info ASAP!!!



    256gb x4 = 1 tb

    What's 256 going for?



    I hear ya... or the win'98 to win2000/XP upgrade... that was a blast.

    Hunting on the net for a graphic's driver while using the default video settings was great fun as well (couldn't see half+ of each website 'til the new driver was installed )





    Do you have a voltage monitor or multimeter? Might have voltage spike/surge/drop that's killing the HDs.

    I'd assume you have a surge protector

    I'm running a surge. I just used them for storage..

    Leave a comment:


  • 76dragon
    replied
    Raid 1, NO use raid 5. More protection. Send the drive back to OnTrack . Might cost you a pretty penny, but they are good

    Leave a comment:


  • PhishPhreek
    replied
    Smoke or dust between the disk and the head has always been my biggest problem..... I small piece of felt taped over the air inlets pays for the effort.

    solid state is the only way to go.

    Leave a comment:


  • andrewh
    replied
    was teasing, figured the SSD was outrageous still, and the large HD prices have been steadily falling.

    $300 - 600 isn't too bad. Should be on par with the old HDs pretty quick (as least if the price of thumb drives is any indication ).

    Leave a comment:


  • jeebus
    replied
    Originally posted by andrewh View Post
    256gb x4 = 1 tb

    What's 256 going for?
    256 SSD goes for $300 to 600 - depending on setup. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I can get a 1 TB HD for about $125.00

    So 1 TB SSD = 10x the cost of platter media.

    Leave a comment:


  • andrewh
    replied
    Originally posted by Delock View Post
    SUCKS....THEY ARE NOT EVEN WORTH USING AS A PAPER WEIGHT.

    800gb of drives (2) and both crash around the same time.....

    One starting in the infamous click click click click. The other just shut down.

    Now I have to pay someone to recover all my data (about 600gb).

    ALL WAYS USE WESTERN DIGITAL

    ok...vent over.........DELOCK SMASH!
    Thanks for the heads up!

    I have a slightly older 200gb Maxtor and will start backing up my info ASAP!!!

    Originally posted by jeebus View Post
    Further back... lol

    Solid state is the way to go, but I think they only go up to 256gb right now? I need 1 full TB for my computer needs.
    256gb x4 = 1 tb

    What's 256 going for?

    Originally posted by CichlidFan View Post
    It does seem like decades ago, but those were good times, I enjoyed formatting and re installing, or just complete rebuilds....I miss those days....ah ...yes....DRAM.....that was sweet......almost as nice as PCI slots....whewwwwwwww....I'll tell you what...finding a driver for a used video card....how exciting was that..... :)

    CF
    I hear ya... or the win'98 to win2000/XP upgrade... that was a blast.

    Hunting on the net for a graphic's driver while using the default video settings was great fun as well (couldn't see half+ of each website 'til the new driver was installed )

    Originally posted by mgarrido View Post
    Derek, 4 disks in 3 years??? Did you use a good battery backup? Do you have electrict problems in your area?
    Originally posted by Delock View Post
    No electrical problems...the drives was used for storage only. I run my OS on a separate drive which is smaller and faster.
    Do you have a voltage monitor or multimeter? Might have voltage spike/surge/drop that's killing the HDs.

    I'd assume you have a surge protector

    Leave a comment:


  • Delock
    replied
    No electrical problems...the drives was used for storage only. I run my OS on a separate drive which is smaller and faster.

    Leave a comment:


  • mgarrido
    replied
    Derek, 4 disks in 3 years??? Did you use a good battery backup? Do you have electrict problems in your area?

    Leave a comment:


  • mgarrido
    replied
    If you have just one hd is always a risk, at least a raid 1 is the solution.

    Leave a comment:


  • CichlidFan
    replied
    It does seem like decades ago, but those were good times, I enjoyed formatting and re installing, or just complete rebuilds....I miss those days....ah ...yes....DRAM.....that was sweet......almost as nice as PCI slots....whewwwwwwww....I'll tell you what...finding a driver for a used video card....how exciting was that..... :)

    CF

    Leave a comment:


  • jeebus
    replied
    Originally posted by CichlidFan View Post
    I'm talking back in 2000 and 01 my friend.....back when Maxtor was making like 8 or 10 gig hard drives....

    CF
    Further back... lol

    Solid state is the way to go, but I think they only go up to 256gb right now? I need 1 full TB for my computer needs.

    Leave a comment:


  • CichlidFan
    replied
    I'm talking back in 2000 and 01 my friend.....back when Maxtor was making like 8 or 10 gig hard drives....

    CF

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X