Apistos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apistos

when they came in last month, I put my tripple red apistos in a 5g quaranteen tank with some java moss and driftwood.   This weekend I was going to move them.   But when I looked in the tank I found it full of tiny fry.  
    no caves, no pots, no coconut shells........
    Guess they like the 67% RO water I put them in.
    Fed the fry microworms this morning.

Should I pull the adults or leave them in with the fry ?
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Wanted to bump this thread back up and see how everyone is doing with their apistos and if there are any words of wisdom that you guys can share.

I ordered 6 (2M/4F) Gold Apistogramma Cacatuoides Triple Reds that should be here tuesday for my planted tank with the idea that they will pair up or get rid of one male. I think I am gonna go with the rock caves offered by cichlidbreeding.com to add to the natural look to my planted tank and at the same time double as a breeding cave.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Hi Yea I have been away awhile since last post I have aquired some Ap. pertensis I have 2 female Ap. eunotus on eggs and about 30+ Ap. pebas at about 1/4 in. But I have lost mates to 4 of my species and I am searching every where for mates for them> Where did you order your cacatuoides from EK? I have some Ap. nojssenii, panduro, and inca coming tue or wed myself from apistodave.

Curtis
        24 tanks 12 dif apistos,3 other S.A.Dwarfs,3Discus, 5Angels,6 dif Killies,3 dif catfish,tetras,pencils,bettas my fish pics http://www.photobucket.com/albums/y74/mematrix/

Comment

you know whats funny my room is starting to look like yours. what do you do to your water to make your apistos breed so well. and do you know why your mates died?. i have had mixed luck with apistos so i would like any advice. thinking of trying a few different ones in a small eclipse planted (as in a piar in 1 tank i have a couple small tanks) anyway i am trying to breed my cockatoos and a lot of africans at the same time we will see who wins.
          Never fear I is here
          David Abeles
          Vice President
          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I got mine off of aquabid Curtis, I was going to order the gold caca's from apistodave but I ended up finding triple reds for a bit less so I went for those. Here's the email to the seller, ragmansrams@yahoo(dot) com

Anyone know what size cave I should get? I am looking at these on cichlidbreeding.com to add a natural look to my planted tank and also provide a breeding cave for these guys. On apistogramma I was told to have a small opening possibly smaller than 3/4" but then how would the male get inside?

Fish Breeding Rock Group - Set of Four Stones.
            Details

You are ordering one set of four Fish Breeding Stones.
            Fish Breeding Stones are very natural looking. Made of tank safe ceramic.
            Adds natural look structure to your aquarium.
            Great stackable design.
            Made to give small fish a place to hide.
            Sizes:
            Stone #1
            3.75" Long
            2.50" Wide
            2.00" Tall
            One Hole Design
            Hole is .50” Round
            Stone #2
            3.75" Long
            2.50" Wide
            1.50" Tall
            Two Hole Design
            Holes are .50” Round
            Stone #3
            3.00" Long
            3.00" Wide
            2.00" Tall
            Two Hole Design
            Holes are .50” Round
            Stone #4
            2.00" Long
            2.50" Wide
            1.25" Tall
            Two Hole Design
            Holes are .50” Round
            All measurements are approx
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i just went to that site. all those shells for like .25 a piece looks not bad to what some places charge, especially for larger shells
              Never fear I is here
              David Abeles
              Vice President

Comment

yeah I ordered my Neothauma shells from there and just went ahead and ordered the rock caves.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

whats the shipping like on their site?
                  Never fear I is here
                  David Abeles
                  Vice President

Comment

to houston about $6-7

I orderd like 50 neothauma shells and it was $6, I just ordered the four caves and it was $6
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Hi Tiapan, EK the reason why mine seem to breed well is one my well water its actually comes from 5 wells of a munipality treated with chlorine and such so i have to condition it but its really soft but very alkaline 50-75ppm GH hardness 400-800ppm kh carbonates and I live in texas well water is filtered through a bedrock of lime stone hence the high carbonate influence. But my apistos will breed in it readly but because of alkalinity eggs don't develope well about 25% hatch rate I also don't do waterchanges as often as many folks every 2-3 weeks 30-50% maybe. just feed them with high protine and they should spawn for you also a water change with cooler water induces spawn. As for cave openings a lot of the apisto females block up cave entrance so male can't get in he fertalizes outside fans milt in opening. But opening size at .50 is probly max though I have had some spawn on leaves.

Sincerely Curtis
                      24 tanks 12 dif apistos,3 other S.A.Dwarfs,3Discus, 5Angels,6 dif Killies,3 dif catfish,tetras,pencils,bettas my fish pics http://www.photobucket.com/albums/y74/mematrix/

Comment

Thanks curtis!

Glad to hear that those words! I ordered those caves which have the .5" opening and hearing that the male can still get the job done is great!
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i wonder if the hatch rate is lower because he cant fertilize directly, just might be another cause. i dont know its just a thought, glad you are so successful. hope to be that way soon myself.
                          Never fear I is here
                          David Abeles
                          Vice President

Comment

well, I'm not too worried about breeding them but I they do it would be nice. I don't plan to remove the eggs or what not either and will elt the parents do all the rearing.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i was gonna try same method. i wont have enough tanks to grow out all my fry (hopefully) and as sensitive as i have found apistos i think whatever water they want to breed in is the right water to have the fry in
                              Never fear I is here
                              David Abeles
                              Vice President

Comment

I got my apistos today!!
                                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                                X