Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5g Fluval Chi Nano (Updated 06.26.13)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mistahoo
    replied
    Re: 5g Fluval Chi Nano

    Well I noticed I had a bit of hair algae the other day and this morning my lamp boiled all of my Amanos... I was knocked out and my younger brother fished out my fish but left my shrimp. Now to search for more Amanos

    Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

    Leave a comment:


  • mistahoo
    replied
    Re: 5g Fluval Chi Nano

    Thanks

    Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

    Leave a comment:


  • suicune
    replied
    plants like anubias, sword and crypts, you have to cut the whole stem and leaf near the base/rhizomes

    Leave a comment:


  • mistahoo
    replied
    I already broke up the wisteria when I got home earlier this afternoon. I have some anubias and sword plants that I wanted to trim.

    So you gotta snip off the whole stem and leaf for swords and crypts? Still a bit confused. Thanks for bearing with me, I'm still new to the whole plant thing.

    Leave a comment:


  • suicune
    replied
    yeah plants like wisteria and rotala are extremely persevere, just shred them however you like, they'll grow back eventually.

    Leave a comment:


  • allysangels
    replied
    also depends on the type. with swords, old growth will be to the outside with new leaves developing in the center. you want to trim those old leaves at the base of the stem. stem plants just snip or break right above a joint and re-plant the top. crypts i snip leaves at the base of the stem. if a leaf is injured or dying, the plant will waste energy trying to fix it instead of growing new tissue. trim away!

    Leave a comment:


  • mistahoo
    replied
    Was curious about trimming any leafy plants. I have a bunch of leafy plants but a lot of them are really large and take up too much space in my nano. I want to trim them, but I have no clue on how to do so.

    Do I cut off the leaf and just leave the stem? Do I just trim some of the leaf to make it smaller? Do I cut off the roots and wait until it grows back? Or can I do nothing about trimming leafy plants but let it grow? Any help is very much appreciated.

    Leave a comment:


  • suicune
    replied
    Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
    I came across those plants too! It's on my list that I need to sort out.

    I have a question about leafy plants. How do you go about trimming them or do you not trim them? Also curious as to how I could keep a carpeting plant low to the ground?
    depends on which plants, most carpeting plants require high light to stay low, under lower light they tend to grow taller in order to reach the light. carpet plants under low light will spread fairly slower, but yeah you do trim them to keep them low either way.

    Leave a comment:


  • mistahoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike&stef View Post
    I just bought a bunch of stems of marsilea crenata of bobs tropical to try as a new foreground plant since I am not doing co2 plant looks nice as a carpet
    I came across those plants too! It's on my list that I need to sort out.

    I have a question about leafy plants. How do you go about trimming them or do you not trim them? Also curious as to how I could keep a carpeting plant low to the ground?

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike&stef
    replied
    I just bought a bunch of stems of marsilea crenata of bobs tropical to try as a new foreground plant since I am not doing co2 plant looks nice as a carpet

    Leave a comment:


  • mistahoo
    replied
    I'm really leaning to use hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan' and h. zosterifolia for my foreground plants after seeing them in a new member's tank.

    Leave a comment:


  • suicune
    replied
    Pelia is great, I actually wanted some of them instead of hairgrass but could not find any.

    Leave a comment:


  • mistahoo
    replied
    Originally posted by allysangels View Post
    as far as something to build a wall in the back, rotala indica is great for this. i have lots, i posted new pics of plants/driftwood in my "for sale" thread. and the other plant i'm getting is this- pellia
    Yup. Had that on my list to go through. I still have a ton of other options to look at so I want to sort everything out first. The pellia looks pretty cool! It would look a bit odd in my foreground that I have planned.

    Leave a comment:


  • allysangels
    replied
    as far as something to build a wall in the back, rotala indica is great for this. i have lots, i posted new pics of plants/driftwood in my "for sale" thread. and the other plant i'm getting is this- pellia

    Leave a comment:


  • mistahoo
    replied
    I've seen the red root floaters and I gotta say that I'm not a big fan of them. It gives some nice color contrast to the tank, but something about it just doesn't sit well with me. I like the tank setup though! Thanks for sharing!

    I spent a good couple days just looking at aquascapes from past aquascaping competitions, and a lot of the ADG and ADA stuff is really helping me with ideas. Also looking at tanks on TPT and some on here are influencing how I want the tank to look.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X