Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 Gallon Planted Fluval Edge Shrimp Tank - Build Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Complexity
    replied
    Sounds wonderful! I'd be happy to trade anything I have that you might want. I'm in the middle of major rescaping, but once that settles down and the plants get to growing, I'll have more plants than I know what to do with.

    Leave a comment:


  • digitallinh
    replied
    will do, I'll post somewhere next time I trim, I usually throw away my plants, but I hate throwing this one away, since I like it so much! my next trim will probably involve about 10-15 small stems, but thats more than enough to start your very own farm.

    Leave a comment:


  • Complexity
    replied
    If you ever have any extra stems to spare, I would enjoy giving it a try. Looks like a really nice plant!

    Leave a comment:


  • digitallinh
    replied
    I will be trimming my Staurogyne Repens in a couple weeks, I'd be happy to send you some stems if you're interested...

    sometimes called Staurogyne Tropica, its a really versatile plant, you can make it bushy/groundcover/tall, etc.

    Leave a comment:


  • Complexity
    replied
    Originally posted by digitallinh View Post
    When I start new tanks, I generally slam pack them with cheap fast growing stems like h. difformis, rotatalas, h. polysperma, then replace them with plants I end up wanting to keep.
    +1 Plant mass is crucial to getting things in balance, especially with new tanks.

    Leave a comment:


  • digitallinh
    replied
    I think you need a lot more plant mass, all those nutrients (light, co2, ferts) but no plants..

    I wouldn't even dose ferts until you think you are at around 50-60% plant uptake (cover).

    When I start new tanks, I generally slam pack them with cheap fast growing stems like h. difformis, rotatalas, h. polysperma, then replace them with plants I end up wanting to keep. Polysperma and Difformis grow amazingly fast, and soak up tons of nutrients.
    Last edited by digitallinh; 02-18-2012, 11:24 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • R_sustaita
    replied
    What grade man, where did you get them. Im looking for some.

    Leave a comment:


  • gotfrogs
    replied
    Originally posted by R_sustaita View Post
    What are cherry crystal shrimp? I never seen those. Did you mean crystal red shrimp or red cherry shrimp? I am new at shrimp.
    Yes, crystal red shrimp =)

    Leave a comment:


  • R_sustaita
    replied
    Originally posted by gotfrogs View Post
    I did a 50% water change today and picked up 7 cherry crystal shrimp from TxSun. They look great and should add some excitement to the tank.
    What are cherry crystal shrimp? I never seen those. Did you mean crystal red shrimp or red cherry shrimp? I am new at shrimp.

    Leave a comment:


  • gotfrogs
    replied
    I lost my last male endler the other day. Not sure why, he seemed healthy and the females are doing fine. I did a 50% water change today and picked up 7 cherry crystal shrimp from TxSun. They look great and should add some excitement to the tank.

    Leave a comment:


  • eklikewhoa
    replied
    Same difference almost.

    Shrimp/plant substrate which alters water params will be more potent on initial start up.

    Leave a comment:


  • dblondfemme
    replied
    He said it is shrimp soil of some sort.... I am too tired to go back and find it... Is that the same thing? I didn't think it was...

    Leave a comment:


  • eklikewhoa
    replied
    Alter your dosing regime and constant water changes.

    You shouldn't need much ferts on initial start up if thats aquasoil.

    Leave a comment:


  • dblondfemme
    replied
    Razor blades work wonders on algae, just watch out for seams on tanks lol. I ordered my plants and bulbs from a guy in Indonesia shhhh on ebay once and rinsed in light salt water because as some of you remember I already breed snails like crazy because someone "donated" a few of theirs on locally grown plants. Anyway... Those plants grew amazingly well in a tank which gets no ferts, no CO2, nothing except fish poop....it even has a fluorescent bulb that isn't even rated for plants. I don't know exactly what the secret is, but one difference for me from most... is that I have a well...

    Leave a comment:


  • gotfrogs
    replied
    Fish and shrimp are doing great. I am still battling algae and keeping the plants happy but hopefully that will change if I keep up my water changes.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X