Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can they go between feedings?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How long can they go between feedings?

    Got to go out of town for a few days...I normally feed once every day around 8 pm. I can probably get a friend to come by maybe once or twice if I am lucky...If I leave Wednesday, I will feed in the morning, and get back Monday, and will feed that evening, any probs going without food for Thursday - Sunday?
    There are about 35-40 Malawi Peacocks & Mbuna in my 215g
    215g Malawi Peacocks and Mbuna
    180g Tropheus Ikola and Bemba and Clown Loaches
    58g Bristlenose breeding and grow out

  • #2
    Re: How long can they go between feedings?

    I would think they would get by if they were fed on Friday.
    Raul
    PokerFace

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: How long can they go between feedings?

      Personally I dont think you are going to have a problem for just 5 days being gone.  I have been gone for 4 days before and none of my fish where feed during this time.  They where hungry when I came back.. that was about it.  All survived without a problem.   Then again most of these fish where guppies and such, only a few cichlids at the time.

      What fish do Jesper have
      180 WC T. Moorii Chilambo +1 Petro trewavasae.
      110
      Cyps, WC Xeno Spilopterus Kipili WC/F1/F2 T. sp red Kiku
      58 S. Decorus

      "The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money." -Margaret Thatcher

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: How long can they go between feedings?

        I don't think you will have a problem either.....if you have someone close by or relative that can drop some food in there for them if you are really worried about it, just make sure you set out pre-measured amounts and labeled for what day.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: How long can they go between feedings?

          You're not gonna have any problems. I have even gone 2 weeks without any problems.
          Just when you come back, don't over due it, just get them adjusted slowly.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: How long can they go between feedings?

            I agree. I've left my fish for about a week and a half, almost 2 weeks, and everything was fine.  :)
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: How long can they go between feedings?

              In the wild fish are searching for meals constantly and if they don't find anything for a few days to a week then they are fine. I actually like to fast my fish every once in a while to try and mimic this natural occurrence  in the tank. I feel it keeps them healthy.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: How long can they go between feedings?

                I used to leave my shop on friday, and not return to feed my tropheus until monday.  They did have the light growth of algae on the holey rock though....

                CF
                Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: How long can they go between feedings?

                  Be careful with carnivorous fish.....there is no seeking refuge for prey in a closed aquarium.  
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: How long can they go between feedings?

                    Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
                    Be careful with carnivorous fish.....there is no seeking refuge for prey in a closed aquarium.  
                    I was thinking along the same thing.  If a fish is hungry enough, a smaller buddy fish might look like a steak or any fish that shows any signs of weakness.
                    Raul
                    PokerFace

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: How long can they go between feedings?

                      Would he look like a steak or nice filet of fish????  I wouldn't worry too much about that amount of time.  But of course if you can get someone to drop a premeasured amount of food in about the midway point of your trip, you shouldn't have any issues.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: How long can they go between feedings?

                        I've gone till 5 days with no feeding and no problems.

                        I think they could have gone more, but man they are hungry when you get back.

                        I would think that smaller fish would definately be at disadvantage..
                        380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                        300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                        180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                        150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: How long can they go between feedings?

                          but if you do want to make sure that they feed something, there are many automatic feeders that do a great job, it won't be that much food, but it will give them some snacks, i have done that on my mix cichlid and planted tank before without any problem, and none of the small fish became dinner  :wink:
                          65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
                          55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
                          30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

                          live and let live

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: How long can they go between feedings?

                            I've got an automatic feeder I've used on several occasions...

                            I just set it for a bit less then I normally feed. and only fill it just barely enough to cover the time I'm gone.

                            figure underfeeding is better then overfeeding when I'm not there to keep an eye on them.  and dont fill it up all the way cuz if somehow it malfunctioned It wouldnt have a full canister worth of food to dump, just the weeks worth or however long.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: How long can they go between feedings?

                              Thanks to everyone...I feel better. A neighbor can come by Fri or Sat and will check on the fish and feed the premeasured food.
                              215g Malawi Peacocks and Mbuna
                              180g Tropheus Ikola and Bemba and Clown Loaches
                              58g Bristlenose breeding and grow out

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X