Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siphon u-tube question

Shortly after I posted the video at this thread

http://www.houstonfishbox.com/vforum...iphon-overflow.

I received a question from another box'r asking how much flow a 1-inch siphon utube can handle. I already had all my stuff in the driveway, so I ran a test. Here is video showing the test.

Flow test for a standard 1-inch u-tube. I am using the Eshopps brand in this test. The flow thru a siphon u-tube will increase depending on the amount of h...

Here is the answer.

When a siphon is setup, the siphon will seek a balance (equal water height) on each side of the siphon. When the water level in higher in the aquarium, water will be pushed to the box on the outside of the tank. The higher the water level in the aquarium, the faster the water will flow.

Based on my test, here are the results.

0.3" -> 135 gph; 0.6" -> 199 gph; 1.0" -> 258 gph; 2.2" -> 423 gph

Here is the rating curve

1inchsiphonratingcurve.jpg

I would say that you can reasonably expect to move about 500 gph per siphon tube depending on how much head (water height) difference your aquarium and overflow box can tolerate.
    Last edited by jarrodaden; 08-14-2010, 06:21 PM.
    Jarrod - Houston, Texas
    150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
    17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
    5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
    3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

nice info. helps alot for ppl like me looking for exact answers to these kids of questions
    Softie Reef

Comment

thats very interesting but ive always been told a 1inch can handle 1200gph?
      I make people happy

Comment

I was told by Andy at fishland, approx 450 to 600....depending on height of the stand and the size of the tank.....average will normally be close to or just over 500 GPH....

CF
        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Andy's range is reasonable based upon my test. That said, height of the stand and size of the tank aren't what drive the flow rate. It is the difference in water surface height between the overflow box inside the aquarium and the other box hanging outside the aquarium that will "push" the water through the u-tube. The bigger the difference, the higher the flow.

Watch the video and you will see what I mean.

The 1,200 gph number might have come from somebody's real life experience using a pump rated for 1,200 gph with a single u-tube. This is actually possible even though the u-tube was probably moving something closer to 600 gph, but I am saving that topic for my next video....

If it helps convince you, I am a Civil Engineer with a specialty in hydraulics and hydrology.
          Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Bernoulli equation right Jarrod? pressure, velocity, head height make the difference.
            tony

Comment

Unfortunately, with the equations which would be applicable to aquarium type problem there are many constants and coefficients which may apply. In this case, there are entrance and exit losses in addition to friction losses. Rather than trying to guess the appropriate ones, it is easier (and perhaps more accurate) to setup a mini hydraulics lab in the driveway.

The Bernoulli equation is definitely applicable in this discussion.
              Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Jarrod that's a very thorough explaination. How do you contend with air bubbles being trapped at the apex of the U?
                Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

Comment

As I said in the video, I am in the process of setting a wet / dry up for the first time. I haven't ever run the complete system before.

That said, from what I have read and been told this problem occurs when the u-tube isn't adequately submerged. Some say that rapid flow through the tube will clear the bubbles.
                  Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post
                    As I said in the video, I am in the process of setting a wet / dry up for the first time. I haven't ever run the complete system before.

That said, from what I have read and been told this problem occurs when the u-tube isn't adequately submerged. Some say that rapid flow through the tube will clear the bubbles.
                    It should, similar to the way it clears them from the intake tube of a canister.

Mark
                    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

In some cases it will not. If the flow is too weak for example.

I have seen people drill a hole on the top of their u-tupe and glue an air line to it.

That way they can suck the air out as needed and plug the air line up.
                      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

i think that happen whenever the flow rate of the pump is weaker than the flow rate of the U-tubes, then air will get in (in some cases, people put their air-pump, or powerhead tube close to overflow box that make bubbles fall to the box inside the tank, and then to the U-tube).
                        if there is air in the U-tube, rapid and strong flow to the U-tube will push all the air away.
                        its my experiencet, put your return hose from the pump back to the tank as straight as possible to reduce friction loss. also use a pump with the flow rate a little stronger than the flow rate of your U-tubes . i used an overflow box with single U-tube ( 500gph approximately) and an Mag 5(500gph), seemed to be adequate, but i got air in the U-tube sometimes, i straightened the return hose, changed to Mag 7, and i have not got any problem with air in the U-tube.
                        just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by wesleydnunder View Post
                          It should, similar to the way it clears them from the intake tube of a canister.

Mark
                          It works a little differently with a cannister. A cannister typical has flow entering the bottom and exiting the top. Bubbles natrually find their way to the top. With the u-tube, the bubble travel up (to the top of the tube) and have nowhere to go unless enough water is moving to push them down and out the other side.
                          Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Working...
                          X