Quieting an overflow box - video added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quieting an overflow box - video added

I bought a new Eshopps overflow. It didn't come in a box and didn't include any instructions.

I don't know the model number, but it has a dual u tube and dual drains on the back. I believe this box is rated for 1000 gph. Someone tell me if I am mistaken please.

My box has male 1.5" threads on it. I would appreciate input on the best way to connect the overflow to a pro clear 175 with dual hose connections.

I am toying with the idea of putting a pvc manifold under the overflow box with a valve on one of the overflow box drains to try to maintain a water height in the overflow box and reduce noise. The second overflow box drain would not be restricted and would flow freely.

I know there is a risk in doing this, but I am willing to accept some risk in exchange for a quieter setup.

Pictures of your setup would be great too.
    Last edited by jarrodaden; 08-14-2010, 09:07 PM.
    Jarrod - Houston, Texas
    150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
    17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
    5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
    3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post
    I bought a new Eshopps overflow. It didn't come in a box and didn't include any instructions.

I don't know the model number, but it has a dual u tube and dual drains on the back. I believe this box is rated for 1000 gph. Someone tell me if I am mistaken please.

How big are your u-tubes? Two 1'' tubes right?

My box has male 1.5" threads on it. I would appreciate input on the best way to connect the overflow to a pro clear 175 with dual hose connections.

Can you post a picture? I'm a little unsure as to what you are talking about. The outside part of the overflow box should have two bulkheads. The side of those bulkheads should be smooth so you can use 1'' PVC pipes to connect the overflow box to the wet/dry sump. You can also use flex hose.

I am toying with the idea of putting a pvc manifold under the overflow box with a valve on one of the overflow box drains to try to maintain a water height in the overflow box and reduce noise. The second overflow box drain would not be restricted and would flow freely.

I fine that a good way to reduce noise is cut a fitted form as a cover over the outside part of the overflow box. I have read that a ball-valve installed between the overflow box and the sump does help reduce noise some also but I haven't tried this yet. I'm going to do this for my 8 footer and see how it turns out. I'd be interested in how yours work. So do keep us update.

I know there is a risk in doing this, but I am willing to accept some risk in exchange for a quieter setup

I'm take some pictures when I get home and post them for you. I have the exact same overflow box. But mine is rated for 1.2K/hour.

Buy the way, what pump are you using on this filter?

The lower flow rates will help reduce noise a lot (this is the main factor to me).

I'm running a mag 12 right now, it's not bad but I think I'm down grade to a eheim 1262 and see what happens.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

IMAGE_154.jpgIMAGE_155.jpg

MJ - Pics attached.

I have two 1-inch u-tubes. Above the bulkhead there is a short white pipe on both sides. The black sponges fit over both white pipes. I took one sponge off for the purpose of showing the white pipe. The partition between the two outlets is to hold water when the box runs dry so that the u-tubes don't fill with air when water stops going into the overflow box.
      Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Just saw the rest of your message.

The pump is the last piece of equipment that I need. I have been trying to find a deal on a used one, but nothing yet. I am leaning toward something in the 1,000 gph range. I will probably suck it up and buy new.

My theory is that more flow will actually quiet the box if and only if the water level in the outside box rises the perfect amount. I have tested this in the driveway and I was thinking about making a video to show.
        Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Yeah, I have that same one. It's rated for 1.....my bad. I just checked.

I used 4'' long of 1'' PVC on each bulk head. Used PVC glue.

The two inputs for my wet/dry sump is also set up this way.

I connect the two with flex hose and clamps.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

MJ - For your setup with the Mag 12 pump running, in the box on the outside of the tank how close does the water level get to the top? If one of the drain holes in the box on the outside of the tank was completely blocked do you think the box would overflow? You don't have to try it, just give me a guess.

I ran a test on the driveway just now and took a video. I am running an estimated 450 - 500 gph for this test. Here is the video.

A series of test showing how to reduce noise in the box on the outside of the aquarium. I am running about 500 gallons per hour during this test. Thanks to...
            Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

I wanted to post a follow up.

I was successful on my new 150 in quieting the overflow significantly. The problem that I now have is that restricting the flow on the bottom of the overflow box causes the water to rise in the tank. With a mag 9.5, I have too much flow into the tank.

I am going to play with a tee split near the pump to see if I can successfully adjust the flow to get the tank water level down.
              Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Quieting an aquarium overflow box (JABFH)

Great Article, you make mention you bought white tubes and foam covers, BUT you dont mention where you bought them?

Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post

I know there is a risk in doing this, but I am willing to accept some risk in exchange for a quieter setup.

Comment

Working...
                X