Gulf shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gulf shrimp

In the meantime, load up on freeze died krill from Jehmco.
    http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Yes, oh wise one. Lol!!
      120g
      Red Rainbows tropheus
      90g
      Assorted Male Malawi Cichlids
      125g
      Moshi Mahale
      Nkonde Fasciolatus Yellow
      petrochromis Sp. Blue Giant

Comment

Shrimp aren't that expensive. Especially for Sunny since he's so close to the markets. You can get large or jumbo shrimp for around 4.50-5 bucks a pound. And it's the freshest you can find.
        210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
        125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

How small do you cut it up small enough for them to eat or will they just tear chunks apart

Comment

It doesn't have to be fresh from the bay, many good markets will have frozen shrimp which works just as well.

Pay a little more and get it off the ice which normally is close to fresh.

Johnny, you want to cut it small enough where they don't tear it up much, this would maximize actual intake and minimize waste in your water.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by New2petro View Post
              Yes, oh wise one. Lol!!
              I only say that because I've got a stash coming in tomorrow. Shrimp + krill = breedingarse fish

Comment

I didn't think you want to feed fresh shrimp. I thought you should freeze it to kill the bacteria that grew on it. Maybe I'm wrong?
                20g mixed reef

Comment

Originally posted by nightster View Post
                  I didn't think you want to feed fresh shrimp. I thought you should freeze it to kill the bacteria that grew on it. Maybe I'm wrong?

That is true as well but I think there's something with sw in fw that works itself out.

Most of what I read was crawfish and snails carrying bacteria from the wild.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Cool thnx imma try my trophs out on some skrimps see how they like it try and fatten them all up

Comment

If it's of real concern you could freeze prior to feeding but I've fed fresh, raw shrimp with no problems.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

been wanting to try shrimp as well but was worry about the waste in the tanks, i already do 2x a week 90% wc so im thinking i might be good
                        175 tropheus Chaitika
                        125 tropheus Ujiji
                        90 tropheus Nkonde

Comment

Originally posted by New_Cichlid11 View Post
                          been wanting to try shrimp as well but was worry about the waste in the tanks, i already do 2x a week 90% wc so im thinking i might be good
                          You'd be surprised how raw foods can spike the params once it starts wasting.

Most reefers will use 1-2 shrimp to jump start their cycle... just saying.

I feed shrimp maybe twice a week with tilapia filets and pellets as the main staple and I'm doing 2-3 water changes a week, filtration is probably excessive even for me. That's about a quarter lb a feeding though.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
                            You'd be surprised how raw foods can spike the params once it starts wasting.

Most reefers will use 1-2 shrimp to jump start their cycle... just saying.

I feed shrimp maybe twice a week with tilapia filets and pellets as the main staple and I'm doing 2-3 water changes a week, filtration is probably excessive even for me. That's about a quarter lb a feeding though.
                            WOW but you got some monsters though. Im thinking about just feeding once a week or so
                            175 tropheus Chaitika
                            125 tropheus Ujiji
                            90 tropheus Nkonde

Comment

That's true, just keep an eye out on the water params is what I'm getting at.
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

OK that doesn't make me feel so bad... I just weighed 4 of the shrimp I drop in the 450 every morning and they came to be around 5 oz, so about 4 oz without shell, came in headless but with shell. And I just did a WC today (so 2 this week already, 90%+ each time). My filters are trying to catch up to the new bio load too.

Comment

Working...
                                X