Random thoughts and personnal accomplishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random thoughts and personnal accomplishments

I started this Troph. keeping thing about 11 mos. ago not even knowing what a Tropheus was?

I did a bunch of research and read almost every thread I could find on keeping Tropheus successfully. The "addiction" was on!!!

Bought a colony of some WC's RR's as my first Tropheus. They looked amazing to me and experienced no losses!!! A few months past w/o RR fry and took the dive into a WC colony of Purple Rainbows. These came in huge and healthy and had quite a "personality". Next, came WC Red Moliro's, wanted the red just to mix things up a bit. They too came in quite large and settled in very quickly and before i knew it had my first fry. I was amazed that i actually was able to breed since this is an indicator that i was actually doing something right?

To further add to my addiction, bought some WC Muzi's, they too were awesome to watch, but had my first failure when i added too much Amquel and suffocated many fish in my colony I am pleased to report the Muzi's are now breeding and have about 20 fry in tank along side 6 or 7 Petro Famula's who surprising has left the Muzi's alone. The dominate Famula male is massive and shows great color. I have had some fatalities to "pop eye" in this tank of late, but appear to have that remedied with some anti-biotics.

What's next? WC Polli Bulu Point and hopefully some more Petro's. I just don't know enough about Petro's at the moment to determine if these will be my next addiction. My guess is they will be once I learn and understand more about them.

Having said all this, I feel it important to let HFB'ers know that I learned so freakin much from this site and it is greatly appreciated. I am now successfully keeping my fish happy and have had very few losses. I owe it to 90% of info gathered from HFB members!!! Thank you! So, without HFB'ers, I would still be keeping swordtails!. Not that i knock swords, they are great, just that they are fairly easy to keep.

Here is what I learned and I believe has led to my accomplishments to date:

Weekly water changes. No laziness here
    Filtration up the wahoo and keep filters clean by rotating them out
    Proper rock aquascaping for hiding and breeding
    Cichlid Salt

For me, that's about all I do? Must be on the right track becasue as I type this I must have over 150 fry in numerous tanks that are awaiting transfer into grow out tanks.

If i could only get some Petro fry?

300+RR (8-10 ft x 30"x30") - Waiting to find it... Lake Tanganyikan
    225RR (72"x24"Wx29"H) DSA - Lake Tanganyikan WC Murago
    210RR (60"x24"Wx32"H) AGE - Lake Tanganyikan WC IN PROGRESS
    160RR 1/2 cylinder (60"x30"Wx30"H) AGE - Altum Biotope IN PROGRESS
    90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Rio Meta Biotope
    90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Lake Valencia Biotope

Comment

Petro fry will follow soon.. just be patient. :)
      300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

Comment

Working...
      X