OB petro Ikola!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OB petro Ikola!

We help you acquire the perfect domain for your site. Affordable payment options. Quick and responsive customer support available.

Seen the OB gene pop up in tropheus kalambo, and tropheus Chipimbi.

Never seen the gene pop up in a petro.....but guess it does!
    I ate my fish that died.

how can it be OB with no orange? that troph about half way down the page looks pretty cool.
    Last edited by cichlid1409; 08-13-2009, 01:08 AM.
    25g - Reef
    3.5g - Surge Tank
    10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

I have been trying google before asking this question...but thats not working!!! What does "OB" stand for? What qualify's as "OB"
      250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

'Orange Blotched' I think.
        25g - Reef
        3.5g - Surge Tank
        10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

is it just like a recessive trait or a different color varient?
          250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

i think orange blotch is what it stands for,like the ob peacocks,but lately they call any fish with color morphs ob.really makes you wonder.why isnt petro orange kasumbe called ob...it sure isnt solid orange,has more of a blotched orange to them.
            petro crazy!!!

Comment

OB does indeed mean "Orange Blotched." The usage of the terms now cover fishes with any off colored patches over it's body.

I personally believe that OB is a recessive trait and not a different color variant. But perhaps a more authoritative person can comment on this, i.e. Mike.

Most popular and most seen in the wild is the Golden Kalambo. Drivers have reported on other forums that they see these fishes in the the lake swimming along side the normal Kalambo. Some folks across the pond are line breeding these fishes. I have yet to see them in America. I also don't know why people are not protesting against it as strongly as other line-bred tropheus, perhaps b/c the gene shows up more naturally in the lake. I'm not taking sides, and I'm with 1409 on this one, I think they just look really cool.

Don't know why they call that petro, orange kasumbe and not OB. Nonetheless, it's still a bad@$$ fish!

I've always wonder how that curifrons fish acts like. Been wanting to own it for years.
              Last edited by myjohnson; 08-13-2009, 09:12 AM.
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Petro Kasumbe Orange is a different sort of 'blotch.' Not the same as is used to describe actual OB colored fish. Kasumbe Orange start off mostly silver grey and as they mature out acquire the orange coloration.

The OB or Golden Kalambo has arrived sporadically in the states. I seen em twice. Hadnt seen em since and they had always come in as singles.

This is Trop. Kushungaza. This example could be considered to be an OB

C
                Last edited by a_Vertigo_Guy; 05-22-2010, 01:28 AM. Reason: Add image.
                - When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the damn lemons back!

Comment

Th OB stands for off color morph and yes it occurs naturally in the lake. Golden Kiriza also occurs naturally in the lake, and lots of the color morphs in the Tropheus world typicaly will be called "Golden"

Golden Kiriza - natural
                  Golden Bemba - man made
                  Golden Kushangaza - natural
                  Golden Kalambo - naturtal

and so forth...
                  380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                  300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                  180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                  150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

In the years I have dealt with these fishes, they have always said it was caused by melanin not being correct in their skin and reacting to the sunlight.

Russ Utslers once told me that he had brought in about 15 Golden Kalambo's and within several months the colors severely faded, but once they were back outside in shallow ponds the color came right back.
                    380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                    300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                    180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                    150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Petro Orthoganthus Ikola OB

Male

Female
                      120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
                      180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                      X