Starting a tropheus tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting a tropheus tank

anyone have experience with seeding(xp3 from older tank) a new tank and using bio-spira? i will be putting 40 trophs in this tank that are around 3" and the xp3 filter is on my frontosa tank which has 36 fish of similar size and mainly bio-media, one tray of bio-stars, one tray of bio-balls and the others with filter pads.

i am buying a new xp3 and when the fish come in i am just gonna swap the filter canister with the seeded one so it will be running on the donor tank up until the fish arive.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

pictures of the tank filled and filters running, this picture does not have the center light on since it was broken during delivery and the center output from the wet/dry is not working cause the T for it is on order.

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I'm a bit confused...so you're running the seeded filter on this new tank now? And you will be until the fish arrive? Or are you planning on changing out the filter with the new one, if that arrives sooner...? Depending on when the fish will arrive, unless it's today or something, I don't think you will have anything to worry about. I've never used bio-spira, I've always just used filter material from other tanks.
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

the filter is running on my other tank at the moment, i have another one exactly like it ordered so when it comes time all i have to do is flip the qd valve and swap just the canister and voila! instant bacteria colony for my new tank when the fish come.

i have the fish on hold for about a month and hopefully by then everything will be stabalized and the bio-spira will just be added insurance since there will be 40 adults added at once.  

from what i have read its easier to have the high number colony if all are added about the same time so that heirachy is established once.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

ok i just got word and i have 39 WC ilangi's on hold, 5M/24F

:dance:  :dance:
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

:think:  How many of each?  :?

Comment

Maybe 10 are still undecided  8O
                Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

hmm...those numbers dont add up huh.

5M/34F

ive been kinda out of it lately, doctors got me on all sorts of pain killers.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Ah, sorry you're still not feeling great. 5 and 34 makes a lot more sense, though!  

Comment

oh i got better from when we last met but i ended up almost losing a finger when i went back to work. :(
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

well i got my order from drsfostersmith today with the extra xp3 for the swap along what was suppose to be my substrate.

they sent the wrong substrate  :evil:  i ordered eco-complete cichlid substrate and they sent kona aroagonite instead.  oh well, more waiting now till the right stuff comes.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

the dust has cleared and rockscape formed.

i was not able to find the mountain like rock i wanted but i did trade for some really nice holey rock(thanks semper) and i have everything settled now for my trophs.

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Nice! On the left side, is that petrified wood as well as driftwood, or just all petrified wood? Looks neat!

Comment

its all petrified wood on the left but i removed it from the tank cause i felt there was too much going on with the different rocks. i like the look of bigger rocks in the tank and the petrified wood didnt do it for me and i couldnt find anymore of the bigger rounded boulders.

i like how the holey rock looks with the background and substrate so that is what i plant to use in the tank. also the holes/crevices will serve as a hiding place for the fry when the time comes.
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i got them today after DHL lost them for an hour or two.

the tank with new layout

unopened

floating

released

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                                X