Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer/printer help needed!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Computer/printer help needed!

    I got a new computer, and the darn thing doenst' have a parallel port in back.  I went to hook up my laserjet 1100 and can't.

    Does anyone know where I can get a cable that has a mini-centronics at the printer end, and USB at the computer end.  I looked at Fry's electronics and they don't have it.  I've also heard it called a bi-tronics connection at the printer.  

    I hate to add a parallel card to the computer for that as it will likely void the 3 year warranty on it and be useless if/when I get another printer which will likely be usb already.

    The printer end of the cable is an odd thing - apparently used by a few lines of HP printers (my 1100 being one of them).  I really like my laser, and don't want to drop the cash on a new printer (would rather buy fish instead of course), but don't mind splurging 20 bucks or so on a cord.

    Suggestions on where I can find one locally would be greatly appreciated - or if you have one laying around you'd like to shed, I'll entertain that option too!

    Thanks
    The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

  • #2
    Re: Computer/printer help needed!

    Try Microcenter off of 610 West loop bewteen San Felipe and Woodway. Their prices are good. :)
    PLECOS SUCK!

    https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Computer/printer help needed!

      You might try Altex Computers on 290 near West Rd.  They have all sorts of odd things there. I haven't been in there in a long time so you might give them a call first 281-469-8886.
      Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Computer/printer help needed!

        Spot --

        You will need to order it :  http://www.directron.com/16898.html

        Or



        Jesper

        What fish do Jesper have
        180 WC T. Moorii Chilambo +1 Petro trewavasae.
        110
        Cyps, WC Xeno Spilopterus Kipili WC/F1/F2 T. sp red Kiku
        58 S. Decorus

        "The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money." -Margaret Thatcher

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Computer/printer help needed!

          Have you called Computer Avenue in Atascocita? I have no idea if they have one, but they're close.
          75gal heavy planted tank
          pea gravel on soil substrate
          DIY CO2
          3 zebra botias, 9 glowlights, 2 yoyo loachs, wild guppies

          55gal planted
          same substrate
          DIY CO2
          1 gold, 1 zebra, 4 koi, 2 dark zebra angels, ghost & amano shrimp

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Computer/printer help needed!

            "I hate to add a parallel card to the computer for that as it will likely void the 3 year warranty on it and be useless if/when I get another printer which will likely be usb already. "

            I dislike the scam these computer companies pull to capture buyers with low prices then force the buyers to use their expensive devices and peripherals(do I hear Dell) . ..i.e. your warranty will be violated if you open the case..

            Heck I learned to build my own...turned out to be quite easy.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Computer/printer help needed!

              Originally posted by Zulaab";p="
              Thanks for looking, but neither of those cables are what I need.  Fry's had both of those - they're fairly common.  I need one like this:  http://sewelldirect.com/USB-to-Mini-...-Cable-Set.asp only I want it local - not having to wait a week or 2 if I order it.
              The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
              Who says you can`t have it all??!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Computer/printer help needed!

                That's a "_ _ _ _ ed up" cable.
                Raul
                PokerFace

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Computer/printer help needed!

                  Have you looked into a new printer? I just picked up an all in one hp at target for like $30.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Computer/printer help needed!

                    I doubt I could find any kind of laser printer for 30$ and I refuse to have an inkjet of any brand.  I don't even want a free inkjet.  I don't use one often enough, and I would put a new ink cartridge in it, print a couple of things, and months later when I wanted to print something again, I'd have to get another new cartridge for it.
                    The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Computer/printer help needed!

                      Do you have a cable of some kind now?  Is it possible there is an adapter?
                      Our Fishhouse
                      Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Computer/printer help needed!

                        The cable that came with the printer has the mini-centronics on the printer end but goes into a parallel port on the computer - well on my old computer.  New pc doesnt' have the parallel port -  just USB

                        I haven't seen an adapter that woudl be usb on one side (pc side) and female rs232 on the other end (old fashioned female 25pin).
                        The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                        Who says you can`t have it all??!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Computer/printer help needed!

                          Did you look on Ebay?
                          You will never know the true feeling of being loved until you feel it from your child.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Computer/printer help needed!

                            Will this help?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Computer/printer help needed!

                              Originally posted by jklntx";p="
                              That's like the ones Zulaab posted - what I need has a mini-centronics at the printer end.  It's like a centronics that's been shrunk halfway or so.  
                              Thanks tho, I'll look at what else they have.
                              The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                              Who says you can`t have it all??!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X