Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me ID these Big Freaking Ants

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TonyO
    replied
    I think they were kicking them out. Nuptial flights for the queens where they fly off and make their own nests.

    That's cool. I know a few fire any experts, but it is a different species than the one here. I've been stung probably 1000 times over 2 summers from those things.

    Leave a comment:


  • Totenkampf
    replied
    lol, we have tarantula migrations in west texas too and they are something to see. i dont mind most spiders (other than the recluse since they keep biting me) but i do hate webs for some reason. i got a shipment of jackson chameleons from hawaii once and there was some big mean banana looking spider in the box...i would have ID it if there was much left after the paintball gun ran dry.

    the queens are on the way to a TAMU entomologist who specialized in ants here in houston (Texas A&M is a leading researcher in texas ants, especially fire ants, and how they may affect crops) but after looking at them closely once they stopped moving around so much i agree that tonyo is likely right. from the side, they do very much resemble texas leafcutter ants. the workers i saw appeared to be red harvester ants and the mound looked like the type that they make, which is not really a mound on the surface. i am wondering if the leafcutter queens were trying to invade an established den for another type of ant? I saw many trying to go in but only a few trying to come out.

    Leave a comment:


  • TonyO
    replied
    Originally posted by sunkenmetal View Post
    Was stationed at Edwards AFB in the mojave desert. Taranchula Migration talking about gross... Oh and at Kadena AB Okinawa Japan the Mother ****ing banana spider those things would chase you...
    Yeah, I don't need that.

    Leave a comment:


  • sunkenmetal
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyO View Post
    Outside of Texas being the only place I've lived in the natural range of the brown recluse, I haven't been particularly taken aback by the insects. Maine during blackfly season? Awful.
    Was stationed at Edwards AFB in the mojave desert. Taranchula Migration talking about gross... Oh and at Kadena AB Okinawa Japan the Mother ****ing banana spider those things would chase you...

    Leave a comment:


  • TonyO
    replied
    Outside of Texas being the only place I've lived in the natural range of the brown recluse, I haven't been particularly taken aback by the insects. Maine during blackfly season? Awful.

    Leave a comment:


  • ssrprelude
    replied
    Bee loves roaches. Like the one right behind her!

    Leave a comment:


  • aquabee
    replied
    Originally posted by sunkenmetal View Post
    I don't care what it is kill it...

    That is one thing I don't like about houston is the bugs lol
    Agreed! And agreed!

    Leave a comment:


  • sunkenmetal
    replied
    I don't care what it is kill it...

    That is one thing I don't like about houston is the bugs lol

    Leave a comment:


  • TonyO
    replied
    Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
    that first pic that sunny posted is the best pic yet and it does look alot like em only these have smaller abdomens and the arch in the head to thorax area isnt as pronounced. there is also no evidence of leaf cutting on the property

    texas a&m has asked me to send samples if the rain doesnt wash them all away. my pics werent good for ID but one of the entomologists thinks they may be red harvester ants. some interesting things about those are that they are the main food for horned lizards, they were the type of ants sold in ant farms, and the workers are reluctant to sting which is good because their venom is more toxic than a cobra when u compare by volume
    Yeah, that's a bit weird. I saw leafcutters in Belize, and they wore trails in the ground from going back-and-forth, but they will travel quite a distance. I'm definitely interested in the ID, because I wasn't even close to 100% sure on the species. If you don't see any, you could always dig them out. Those workers will still be there, though the "reproductives" will be of definite value to the person IDing them.

    Leave a comment:


  • Totenkampf
    replied
    that first pic that sunny posted is the best pic yet and it does look alot like em only these have smaller abdomens and the arch in the head to thorax area isnt as pronounced. there is also no evidence of leaf cutting on the property

    texas a&m has asked me to send samples if the rain doesnt wash them all away. my pics werent good for ID but one of the entomologists thinks they may be red harvester ants. some interesting things about those are that they are the main food for horned lizards, they were the type of ants sold in ant farms, and the workers are reluctant to sting which is good because their venom is more toxic than a cobra when u compare by volume

    Leave a comment:


  • barberking12
    replied
    Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
    I think Tony hit the nail on the head:

    http://bugguide.net/node/view/92125



    yup he got it

    Leave a comment:


  • SunnyHouTX
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • SunnyHouTX
    replied
    I think Tony hit the nail on the head:

    Leave a comment:


  • TonyO
    replied
    Originally posted by barberking12 View Post
    there are different types of termites then the white ones ur thinking of
    Right, but identifying the narrowed waist (also called the petiole) is a very easy diagnostic tool for distinguishing between the two quickly. . . that wasn't just for this situation, that was for everyone's general knowledge, in case they found themselves in a situation of having to identify these things.

    Leave a comment:


  • barberking12
    replied
    lol

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X