Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*721 Scam

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • *721 Scam

    This weekend, I received a call from someone posing as a Harris Co. Sherrif. He told me that one of my kids was in jail and I needed to contact a Sgt. Garcia at another telephone number. When I called the other number, part of which was the sequence *721, it transferred my phone number the another number, allowing this jail inmate to place calls at the pay phone against my number. I'm currently getting this mess sorted out. I just wanted to warn my fellow boxers about this scam. Sheesh, what a PITA!

    Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

    Robert Anson Heinlein

  • #2
    get your phone carrier to block all long distance calls for a while the scam as gone on for awhile now

    Comment


    • #3
      yep. its called fishing the phone line in jail. i've seen it done plenty of times. some of them sit at the phone all day until they get somebody. its the *72 part you need to watch out for. they use it to contact people who dont have collect calls or to simply leave you stuck with the bill.
      Last edited by Rico; 04-13-2009, 01:13 PM.
      fishless

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah, Rico. It was about an hour later that Shelia called my cell phone to tell me she couldn't get through on the land line. I called the ATT operator and he told me what had happened and to dial *73 to take the line off forwarding. ATT said when I get the bill to call customer service and they'll take the bogus charges off since the scam is under investigation by the Harris County Sherrif's office.

        Mark
        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

        Robert Anson Heinlein

        Comment


        • #5
          i had those call before, but it was long time ago, it was back when i was 14, and they said my 22 years old son was busted for doing drug or whatever, i didn't think people still run those scam... isn't there another one few years back that people were using the scam for long distance call?

          Comment


          • #6
            That's good to know. Thanks! Hope you get it sorted. At my house we make a habit of ignoring the phone unless we recognize the name on the caller id. And I do the same with my cell phone, though I've gotten some numbers with really weird area codes.
            -Laura-

            Comment


            • #7
              Damn Wes, you couldn't help a brotha out?

              700g Mini-Monster tank

              Comment

              Working...
              X