Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prohibited Texas Fish... to import, possess, sell, or place in water in this state

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm way cool without the rays, lol. We just have nanos with shrimp and plants. I just like Cryptocornes, Rotola, and Hygrophila and things not on their "White" list. I can certainly understand not being able to collect some Fissidins or Wendtii from the ditch and transport it to your aquarium for fear of it being released into the wild.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by alexrex20 View Post
      Zac at B&B told me that the game warden once came and did an informal walk-through inspection for illegal fishes of his pet store. It all started when he got the call from the airport that a shipment of live fishes was not picked up, so they wanted to know if he wanted them. He brought them in and there were some live eels. He put them up for sale for some low price, unsure of their value. They were just the normal eels that you see for sale as dead food items at the Asian market. A customer came in and bought one of the two eels. No big deal, then came back a few days later and bought the last eel. The very next day the game warden showed up in his marked truck and in uniform, looked around the store, tank by tank. Then asked Zac straight up if he sold any freshwater eels. Zac told him no, so the game warden left.

It wasn't until after the visit that he looked it up and found out that freshwater eels are illegal in Texas.

In only a matter of days, word got around to the game warden that ______ Fish Store was selling _______ illegal fish, so the game warden went to check it out. I think it is being enforced, and most every pet store is smart enough to know what they can and can not sell. To date, I haven't seen any illegal fish for sale in any fish store in the Houston area.
      I have seen Stingrays, Clarid catfish, Pirhana (numerous species), snakeheads, undersized turtles, and unknown thousands of illegal aquatic plants being sold quite regularly all over Houston. Most have no idea they are illegal.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Mnem.. disregard the PM>. its a scam.. LOL

North American Discus Association, Secretary (N.A.D.A.)
        N.A.D.A Facebook
        Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

Right on, they are legal in La. and shipping on aquabid is cheap, lol...
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
            I have seen Stingrays, Clarid catfish, Pirhana (numerous species), snakeheads, undersized turtles, and unknown thousands of illegal aquatic plants being sold quite regularly all over Houston. Most have no idea they are illegal.
            Well you got me on the undersize turtles. I see those all the time. That's an FDA law, not a TPWD regulation though - if that means anything. I've never seen a FW ray though, and especially a piranha. Though I have heard of people that "could get me a piranha if I wanted one."

Comment

Check Petco and Petsmart regularly in their "Silver dollar" area. They are often accidentally sent and look very similar. I have found white, Black and Red Bellied mixed in to their stock. The Clarid was an unidentified asain walking catfish mixed with Kuhli loaches (I bet a few never made that move, lol) and the rays were openly for sale and priced at about what they should be $200-$500 a piece.
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

I find most fish people to be very honest people. Not all but you know if you are or not. So most do the right things. The ones that don't? Well, It's hard enough keeping up with my family and my self. I can't be the world cop too... We all know right from wrong...

IMO. You both give some of the best fact & opinion on HFB.
                Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                  Check Petco and Petsmart regularly in their "Silver dollar" area. They are often accidentally sent and look very similar. I have found white, Black and Red Bellied mixed in to their stock. The Clarid was an unidentified asain walking catfish mixed with Kuhli loaches (I bet a few never made that move, lol) and the rays were openly for sale and priced at about what they should be $200-$500 a piece.
                  Wow, I hardly ever check Petsmart or Petco, but I'm gonna start looking now! I would've thought the big franchises would be more careful about stuff like this.

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
                    I find most fish people to be very honest people. Not all but you know if you are or not. So most do the right things. The ones that don't? Well, It's hard enough keeping up with my family and my self. I can't be the world cop too... We all know right from wrong...

IMO. You both give some of the best fact & opinion on HFB.
                    I appreciate it, I am not trying to state that exotics are no threat at all. Just that weak enforcement and difficult to locate information have placed dedicated hobbyists as the only real 'police' when it comes to explaining their zany and ill thought out laws.
                    Desiderius Erasmus
                    GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by alexrex20 View Post
                      Wow, I hardly ever check Petsmart or Petco, but I'm gonna start looking now! I would've thought the big franchises would be more careful about stuff like this.
                      They get their stock from super large breeders that cater entirely to them, but again Pirhanas are only illegal in a few states so they do sell them elsewhere. I'm sure mix ups occur and when seperating out 5000 young silver dollars I'd imagine it would be tough spotting 5 White Pirhana mixed in. They get broken up into smaller groups and delivered to stores and although a few employees are knowledgable we all have seen some of the others at their stores.
                      Desiderius Erasmus
                      GHAC President

Comment

I have seen a snakehead at petsmart. told the girl what it was and she said thats ok some one will buy it...
                        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

The law fines you. The store and the shipper.

Comment

To everyone stating that the large box retailers sell illegal fish. I find it hard to believe since the shippers are responsible for shipping these fish. The computer systems use now won't let you buy illegal fish. I brought illegal fish in for ZOO's and UT and A&M. Back in the early 2000s the TP&W busted many stores including grocery stores. I used to get regular visits from the TP&W.
                            Here's a strange story. I received a shipment of Ramshorn snails on Monday. Guess who showed up first thing Tuesday morning? TP&W I told the game warden I had received them. Told him I crushed them and that they were in the garbage.

Comment

Hmmm who would want to ship Ramshorn snails?
                              010G Long fin BN grow-out
                              020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                              020G Leulepi grow-out
                              020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                              030G Leulepi breeder
                              030G SRD FlowerHorn
                              040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                              090G Tangs community
                              100G Tangs community
                              150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

It was an add on to fill a box. Some states they are legal. Not here in Texas.

Comment

Working...
                                X