Game Plan and Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game Plan and Questions

Me, too. However, I'd check to see if your tank is stable enough for them. From what I hear, and if they're true Rummynoses, they're pretty picky when it comes to water quality and parameters. Just a suggestion, though!
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Re: Game Plan and Questions

whoa! Let's go back to the game plan for the big switch.

First, put the new filter alongside the old filter on the OLD tank and let both run while you consider what to do.  

In a week or when you are ready, remove the fish to a clean bucket -- well rinsed but one that has not had soap or cleaning chemicals in it. I suggest you go to the dollar store or Walmart and buy one 3 or 5 gallon bucket and write on the outside FISH. Do not let anyone use this bucket for anything else. Wipe the bucket with vinegar to remove any residue if it feels oily at all, it may be just fine though. It is handy to also mark on the outside 1, 2, and 3 gallons.

Now, take about half the water out of the tank into the bucket. Remove all decorations and the filters. Put the filters on a towel on the floor, not in the bucket, you won't take so long with this taht they are going to dry out.

Next remove the fish, gently. Move your net slowly, do not chase the fish. I find it easiest to use my hand to chase, I mean guide, the fish over toward the stationary net, then trap them against the glass. Don't frighten them, just go slow until you snap the net. It's like herding cattle, get along little Bessie.

Now clean the gravel out of the tank and get it clean as you do. Set up the new tank. Before you pour in the gravel, pour in a few cups of water to see if the tank is pretty much level. The new tank will be much heavier that the old one and so if it is on a dresser or other furniture, be sure it is capable of holding 100 lbs safely with no sags or twists. Be sure you ahve room for filters. Get the backing on the tank (much prettier, anything is better than bare glass).

Now add the gravel and fill with clean tap water, mathc temperature by tough to the bucket temperature, adding an appropriate dechlorinator. Set in heater and decorations. Check temperature of bucket and tank at this point to be sure they are within a degree or so.

I usually get ther fish out of the bucket by carefully pouring them into the net -- it is just too hard to net a fish in a round bucket. Close the stopper in the sink or tub, in case you miss one! That water will be rather nasty with ammonia and so you don't want to add it to the clean tank.

Now set up both filters in the new tank and feed the fish very lightly for the next few days.

When you are ready to buy new fish, set up the old tank as a Quarantine Tank and now move the old filter back to it. Add the new fish to this Quarantine Tank and observe them for 4 weeks before adding them to the old fish.

The important thing here is to develop good habits and the Q tank is a very important habit to have. Many fish stores will replace a dead fish within 4 weeks, but most often it is the new fish that live and the old fish are the ones that die from whatever the new fish brought in with them. No store will compensate you for your old fish. So, keep the new guys separate until any illness is obvious and either resolved or they are dead.

Comment

Working...
      X