Discus and friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Discus and friends

Also is there anyway of telling the difference between male and female Discus? Or are they like Angels and you cant really tell till they are spawning?
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I've never been able to tell prior to spawning. When they spawn, the one laying the eggs is the female.  

Mark
      What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I have them with cardinals and harlequins and they get along fine.
        180 gallon RR wild discus, harlequins, congos, rainbow, pleco, cardinals, rummynose, rcs, and amanos.  2260 eheim pressurize co2 4x54 tek lights

Comment

Turquoise is a domestic breed. They are usually raised in tapwater. Good for most hobbist.
          Heckels are usually wild. Which means that they require lower pH. Which may require RO/tap mix.

I keep my heckels in 100% houston tap water, but i adjust the pH down to 6.9 using CO2 injection.
          www.ventralfins.com

Comment

I keep my discus in tapwater too. I have turq, wild blue and wild greens. I inject co2 and the ph drops to about 6.5

Mark
            What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Well I plan on doing the whole works with a planted and having CO2 so I will have that covered will just have to get the drops. I also thought there was a plant that you can use that can help lower pH. Or am I totally confused?
              Resident fish bum
              330G FOWLR
              34G Reef
              330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
              28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Don't know of any plants that will lower ph.

Mark

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I have cardinals rams corys and roseline sharks they all do great together

Comment

...A dead plant will lower the pH...
                    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Working...
                    X