Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro/Cons MTS in Planted tank

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pro/Cons MTS in Planted tank

    Should I add some to my planted tank or should I not? Do you see them much during the day on the glass. Do they eat the plants?

  • #2
    i think if you wait long enough it will come with plants you buy at some point, no need to do it voluntarily :)
    65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
    55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
    30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

    live and let live

    Comment


    • #3
      lol...
      Well i already do have a few small snails (small spiral round snails) no idea what they are.

      But I have MTS in another tank i got... loads of them, Just curious if the benifits outwieght the negatives.


      If anyone wants some you are more than welcome to come get some.... they are in the gravel I took out from the tank whch is sitting in a bucket (u wont have to dig much to find them... there are lots!)
      Last edited by Somefishguy; 02-22-2009, 12:45 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        i think the main benefits with mts are: if you have a thick substrate they will aerate if by digging and they will eat any uneaten food, if you keep your feeding and water changes regular than there is no harm... otherwise there will be more than you would ever care for
        65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
        55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
        30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

        live and let live

        Comment


        • #5
          spiral round? sounds like ramshorn... the only thing negative about mts is they super mass produce in a short time, but if you don't over feed you can slow it down... they also get all over ur glass.. but once light is on.. they all dispeared...

          Comment


          • #6
            Yep they are ramshorn....

            I think I will try to bait the ramshorn (ive only ever seen 3) and get rid of them since they do eat plants, and may introduce a few MTS in thier place.

            Comment


            • #7
              ramshorns never ate plants in my tanks... but maybe yours like their veggies :)
              65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
              55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
              30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

              live and let live

              Comment


              • #8
                I have never seen ramshorn eat plants or notice much damage to plants.

                As for the MTS, I would maybe add a few cause you will get them in your tank if your other tank have it... don't ask me how but they have a mysterious way of invading other tanks. The MTS will aerate the roots/substrate in the tank as well as eat uneaten foods so that's the pro of it.

                Con of MTS would be how fast they multiply.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

                Comment


                • #9
                  I've had ramshorns nibble my crypts but no real damage aside from the odd hole here and there in the leaves. They never bothered the other plants.

                  I have mts in other tanks and thin them periodically and give them to the yoyos. They make a great addition to the cleanup crew.

                  Mark
                  What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

                  Robert Anson Heinlein

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Alright tanks for the info. Ill add a few MTS to the tank and leave the ramshorn

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What are MTS???

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        MTS are Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

                        Mark
                        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

                        Robert Anson Heinlein

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If i took the gravel out of the tank and it had been sitting in a couple buckers for a few days do you think the MTS will still be alive? There were TONs in the gravel when i was clearing it from the tank

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Nothing short of radiation or boiling will kill MTS's. I swear sometimes they even survive boiling :evil:. If they didn't survive I can give you about 1 gazillion.
                            Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              lol i just put a few in water and gonna see if they come to life... I have 5 gazilion in my gravel i tok out lol


                              If they are all dead then thats fine as well... I am not desperate for them

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X