5g Fluval Chi Nano (Updated 06.26.13)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
    It looks nice! It looks green though? Is it?
    Yes
    I went off the deep end

Comment

Originally posted by Parzival View Post
      Yes
      If I were to do a nano for myself, I'd get some!

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
        there is a microsword that does okay in less than ideal light (lileopsis mauritiana) but its harder to find. idk if LEDs in the inexpensive nano fixtures will support them though. green leaf aquariums often has it in pots so you get a good amount of it.

try crypt wilissi 'lucens' for a nano ground cover. it wont spread fast but if you buy it in pots you will get tons of individual plants to split apart and spread out. you could use a larger crypt wendtii 'bronze' as a contrasting specimen plant

for low maintenance, i like the powder blue dwarf gourami as well. there as some stunning killifish that work in smaller aquaria but they can be picky on water quality. i seem to recall a blue dwarf pencilfish too but again, i think the prefer soft water and are picky about it. a couple female betta might work well together too.
        I like them! Still gathering plant ideas. I have a crypt wendtii 'bronze' I got from Ally. Didn't have a clue as to what it was, but after seeing the Google pics of them, it's gotta be it. I kind of like the dwarf gouramis as well. Wouldn't they be snacking on the shrimp though? Blue dwarf pencil fish sounds interesting!

Comment

I just washed the substrate. There were so many MTS shells! Here's a pic of the tank with the stunner strip on it. Could I get rid of the other plug? I'm guessing it's to connect multiple stunner strips? Is there another way to go about having the lighting on the tank without it sitting on it? My first thought was to hang them, but I can't do that.

Last edited by mistahoo; 09-23-2012, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
            Bob's Tropical Plants is a terrific site for nano stuff and a terrific selection of Manzanita Nano trees

Just one of the online folk I have used and been wonderfully pleased with his service and stock
            Checked out the site. Those prices... WOW! Really cheap! Seen some of what he's selling go for at least double, if not more, of what he's charging! The root tabs are extremely cheap too! $3 for 10 tabs sure beats $7 for 6 tabs. Thinking of ordering some stuff through him when I'm ready to stock the tank.

Comment

yeah there must have been something in the porter internet that makes people miss the part about you wanting shrimp lol. the gouramis might leave the adults alone but would likely take shrimplets. i would think killifish might as well since they have pretty large mouths for their size.

bobs tropicals prices are great, and those root tabs are very well thought of. i have sometimes been disappointed with the size of the plants i got but then they were cheap. Bob and GLA are my go to online plant stores ATM.

you COULD cut the daisy chain wire on the stunner and then splice them together but i think i would just tape it back over the top of the strip. you will have to get creative for a bracket but it could be pretty minimal, a strip of wood twith the stunner taped to it via double sided tape and maybe heavy wire brackets that you bend yourself. a coat hanger might work. is it an 8000k stunner? that light looks really blue to me.
              75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
              28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
              12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
              29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
              45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
              33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
                yeah there must have been something in the porter internet that makes people miss the part about you wanting shrimp lol. the gouramis might leave the adults alone but would likely take shrimplets. i would think killifish might as well since they have pretty large mouths for their size.

bobs tropicals prices are great, and those root tabs are very well thought of. i have sometimes been disappointed with the size of the plants i got but then they were cheap. Bob and GLA are my go to online plant stores ATM.

you COULD cut the daisy chain wire on the stunner and then splice them together but i think i would just tape it back over the top of the strip. you will have to get creative for a bracket but it could be pretty minimal, a strip of wood twith the stunner taped to it via double sided tape and maybe heavy wire brackets that you bend yourself. a coat hanger might work. is it an 8000k stunner? that light looks really blue to me.
                For lighting I have a 12" stunner LED strip #8011 - 18 x 8K White & 6 x 453nm Blue. If more natural light is needed, I could open the curtains and give it sunlight for a little bit.
                I passed this up several times looking for it, but this was on the first page.

I'm more worried about the adults than the shrimplets since I'm going to have the shrimps first and breed for a while before adding fish. What is GLA? And splice what together? I only have one 12" strip.

Comment

Bob's Tropical Plants is a terrific site for nano stuff and a terrific selection of Manzanita Nano trees

Just one of the online folk I have used and been wonderfully pleased with his service and stock
                  That looks awesome... How do you support those? Do you glue a base to the wood and bury it under the substrate? Is hot glue aquarium safe?
                  I went off the deep end

Comment

Originally posted by Parzival View Post
                    That looks awesome... How do you support those? Do you glue a base to the wood and bury it under the substrate? Is hot glue aquarium safe?
                    You could glue them to a base with hot glue. It is aquarium safe. I've seen a few that were just stuck into the substrate and they held up fine.

Comment

Yeah, I like Bob's and have gotten some very cool stuff from him in the past and his shipping is fast and cheap.

I concur about the bracket being the only real option. Maybe build some sort of clip that will allow overhead mounting?
                      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                      Desiderius Erasmus
                      GHAC President

Comment

There are a few different mounting legs (Coralife has some clear ones and quite a few other types) and I occasionally see them in the older fish shops in a dusty corner. I bet you might even find some on here someone has lying around that you could use/adapt for this application and pick up the fixture a bit...
                        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                        Desiderius Erasmus
                        GHAC President

Comment

There are a few different mounting legs (Coralife has some clear ones and quite a few other types) and I occasionally see them in the older fish shops in a dusty corner. I bet you might even find some on here someone has lying around that you could use/adapt for this application and pick up the fixture a bit...
                          Thank you! I'll try to find some mounting legs that have a silverish finish to it to match with the reflector that's on it. If not, I could just find some mounting clips. I have a few ideas, but I gotta keep my eyes peeled for these things when I check out the LFS

Comment

How thick should my substrate layer be? I was thinking 2"? I could make it 3" or 4" if needed.

Comment

I passed this up several times looking for it, but this was on the first page.

I'm more worried about the adults than the shrimplets since I'm going to have the shrimps first and breed for a while before adding fish. What is GLA? And splice what together? I only have one 12" strip.
                              GLA = Green Leaf Aquariums. You wanted to know if you could remove one connector on the side of the stunner strip. there are two wires in the cable going to the expansion connector. if you cut off the connector then you would have to splice these two wires together or the strip wont work. i would just tape it back, you never know if you will want to add more light.

GHAC Member

Comment

How thick should my substrate layer be? I was thinking 2"? I could make it 3" or 4" if needed.

2" is probably okay for crypts or small swords. stem plants might appreciate a little more since you have to bury a portion of the stem for them to root.

GHAC Member

Comment

Working...
                                X