New Tank!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Tank!

I have nerites, and have been gradually tossing them in the ponds.  I don't like them in my tanks since they tend to leave eggs everywhere!  The eggs are firm and hard to remove from the tank glass.  They lay them on the glass, the filters, rocks, the only place I havent seen them lay them (yet) is on the fish!   I bet they've tried though  :(

If it weren't for that I'd like them much more.
    The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

oh really, thanks for sharing...ima have to change to a different snail....some mentioned otociclus or even a bristlenose plecos

Comment

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

here is the latest pic of the set up....again let me remind that im going to the store to buy more plants...LOL

Ill take a new pic of the tank with the new plants in later this evening...I also wanted to get more rocks to stack up in the back but not covering the filter....do you think thats too much rocks??

Comment

Here is the updated setup with three new plants...

Comment

What until Sunday before you buy any more plants.
            It is starting to look good.
            Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
            Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
            Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Repeat here everything everyone already said.  

Nerites are really good at reproducing.  I had some eggs on my filter and two days later there was baby snails.  

And nothing beats an otto.  They never stop cleaning.  I can't even get mine to eat tabs.  It thrives on the algae on the plants, rocks, wood, and side of the glass.  They are like cute mini-vegitarian sharks.  

Comment

djmatthewblack,
                Was your tank salt or brine? Nerites can reproduce in salt/brine but not fresh. If they are actually nerites and you got them to reproduce in freshwater, you can be a millionaire! Several of my friends have tried and tried to get them to reproduce, but no results. Just eggs (which dissolve in a day or two.)
                They are just so perfect in freshwater. They don't eat plants and are regular little workhorses!

Comment

I think ottos are great - keep plants clean and just fun to watch - I have 4 in 55 gal. One of them is a bit shy, but others are out during the day and very active.

Comment

What are the full names of the Ottos so that I can look them up?
                    Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

What is the plant name that grows like grass and looks like bean prouts??? Do you think there will be some at the auction?

Comment

where did you see those at? have no idea what you are talking about.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Are you talking about Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis parvula or Elocharis acicularis) perhaps?
                            Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                            Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                            Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                            Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I saw it at the fish gallery in their display tanks....when I saw them it made me want to do planted tanks once I got my first tank.

Comment

I don't see how those look like bean sprouts.....Echinodorus Angustifolius.
                                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                                X