New Tank!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Tank!

Java fern and java moss grow on driftwood. You can get most species of anubius to to the same. All can be grwon in low light.

Come to think of it, I think most mosses will grow on driftwood. I've got some christmas moss and java fern that I can spare.
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I think the only moss that doesn't attaches to anything is true weeping moss.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

arm....bring some of that to the auction.....i need some more for my 75 planted tank....

Comment

Java fern huh....I am going to Fish Gallery after work today to get some plants...

Should the angel fish be the first fish in the tank? or can i get some tetras before the auction?? Also, the bottom feeders wont eat the roots?? Thanks for the advise on the snails b/c I was going to buy one....

Comment

Might be expensive there to buy plants..... ask/look for Don...he will be the most helpful there...old round guy with glasses.

Either tetras or angelfish should be fine...they aren't too territorial. Depending on what bottom feeder you are looking for they won't eat the roots but will uproot plants which will be equally problematic.

With the snail thing it depends on what snail you are wanting.... if you are going to buy one then most likely it won't eat your plants. I have tons of snails in all of my planted tanks and they don't bother the plant any and are actually a great help since they eat algae and food that the fish miss.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I think ive seen Don there before...do you think that aquarium world is cheaper than fish gallery in regards to plants??

Im just really excited about my first tank and not sure if I can wait til sunday to add fish...

I wasnt sure if I should get bottom feeders b/c of the plants and also with the snails. Im new to all this...what type of snails do you have in your tank eklikewhoa?? If I get snails, do I still need an algea eater??

Thanks all for the advise!

Comment

Aquarium world is not going to have better cheaper plants then FG.

I have ramshorn/nuisance-pond/ Malaysian trumpet and Nerites in my tank. Most were hitchhikers or given/traded from members here. Different things eat different types of algae or serve a different purpose. If you plan on getting an algae eater I highly rec. an otocinclus cause they are small and go a great job for their size.

Also check out FishRanch which is south on 59 from fish gallery and CityPets which is on B8 and beechnut.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

You don't necessarily need an algae eater. But I agree with ek, otos are great because they stay small. So are some of the bristlenose plecos.

I have the same kinds of snails ek mentioned...if you're planting your tank, it's almost inevitable that you will have some in the very near future. Snails are very sneaky.  :)

I wouldn't buy any, for the reason that you will probably have them in no time, and the ones that are offered for sale are usually apple snails and such, and they do tend to eat plants. Not all of them, but the ones that do can really do a number on your plants.
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

The only snail that I would or have bought are Nerites, they are awesome looking and do a pretty decent job too.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Very, very true. I love my nerites.  :)

Comment

okay so snails are a good substitute for algae eaters?? can i have nerites snails before I actually add my fish?? Does nerites snails stay small?

Comment

Yes and no.

The one definite answer is yes, nerites stay small. And in FW, although they will lay eggs, they won't hatch, which is a plus! They're also great algae eaters.

I wouldn't say all the other snails are a good substitute. Although algae eaters aren't required, I really like the bristlenose plecos and otos.  And a lot of other 'algae eaters' will get spoiled and stop eating algae after they realize the other fish are getting the tasty stuff!

I guess you could have nerites before you add your fish...is the tank already set up? I think you said someone was giving you a couple plants...

Comment

my tank is already set up...darbex gave me his two plants from the cichlid tank...i am going to the store after work to buy more taller plants...I was thinking of some with tints of red for color... but i do need to check my water before i buy any snails....um do you think fish gallery does water testing?

Comment

Man introduce my gf to aquariums and now she is more franatic about it then me. I have a water test kit at home.
                              Resident fish bum
                              330G FOWLR
                              34G Reef
                              330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                              28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

hun-you didnt tell me you had a water test at home!

Comment

Working...
                                X