No announcement yet.

Is it a Red Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured if it wasnt really a red they might be female. Any suggestions on if my train of thought was correct?

200 - African cichlids
    72 - Salty Bow Front
    33 Cube - community
    10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

no even females are red sometimes. the color red (in general sense) really has nothing to do with its gender. its that they fade into the color red/orange/yellow depending on the grade of the rt which can make these guys very fun to raise up. when rt are born they dont come out red or at least that i've seen of. Maybe Tony have seen some red prefaded rt frys. XD there are many cases of a unfaded RT. I have one thats a unfaded male and its the sibiling of tony's male RT. tony's RT is red but is also a unfaded one as well (base upon last update i saw him), just that tony's rt got some really good genes on him. heres a pic to compare :] this is my non faded rt as of yet.

a friend of mine shevagol also said that "Late faders are deep faders (provided that they have good color genes passed down)
      Many red texas that fade when young generally keep fading many times as it matures... The ones that fade when bigger and more mature are likely to retain their colors more."

Hopefully from what he said if im lucky mines will fade . But there are some nonfaded rt that looks dazzling like Tony's. :] I feel that non faded high quality SRT are very rare for most of them are culled in the progress before they get a chance to shine.

heres a link to my non fade rt progress thread. hope it can better give you and idea of how a rt can change over time. http://flowerhornrusforum.com/topic/8588134/1/
      Last edited by Fishmaker; 07-17-2012, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Fishmaker is correct. For the record, I have seen RT fry start fading at around 1".. Usually if a RT is to ever fade, it will fade before it reaches 8". After 8", the chances of it fading is extremely low.

Comment

numbers 3 & 4 is a good looking fish!
          Originally posted by BrAin View Post
          Bought a "red" texas from a lfs a couple weeks ago and now I'm wondering if it really is a red or maybe just a green. I took a couple shots of it and the green I got from Crusher as a comparison. The red is still fairly young so I could be wrong and it might change later. Let me know what you think.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12685[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12686[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12687[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12688[/ATTACH]

Comment

Lol. Yeah, got it from a nice guy for a good price....

200 - African cichlids
            72 - Salty Bow Front
            33 Cube - community
            10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

Ok, so the two arent reds but is it possible they are the same. Just male and female. Both have that red strip on the dorsal fin.

200 - African cichlids
              72 - Salty Bow Front
              33 Cube - community
              10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

:-)~
                Lol. Yeah, got it from a nice guy for a good price....

Comment

best to just give a bit of time to grow out and see any development of pearls. cause mine wasn't red at all when he was 1inch but he did have a bit pearls on him. Possibly yours can a be a low grade rt?? maybe. only a bit of time will tell. im thinking maybe is just your classic yellow base flowerhorn with possible fade genetics in them. thats another possibility. looking forward to some update when they get bigger. hope they show/reveal their identity a bit more. for now they are very mysterious little 1inch frys .

Comment

I wouldn't even consider the 2 fry you have Texas hybrids. That's what I meant when I said they weren't red texas. Grow em out a little and you can figure out what they are, but I'm 110% certain that they are no where near RT or Texas hybrids.

Comment

anybody wanna see my texas?
                      IMG_20120718_025722.jpg
                      my fish house:
                      2.5g- ramshorn hatchery
                      6g eclipse- yellow shrimp, chili rasboras, yellow apple snails
                      29g- geo grow-out, angels, 12"fire eel, dwarf frog, apple snails
                      45g- jade sleeper gobies, native killifish, feeder endlers

75g-
                      2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby
                      125g- fahaka puffer, rainbow shark
                      and about a dozen bettas....

Comment

just wanted to update. I'm leaning towards Jack Dempsey. Maybe a cross of that and some other. I'm still not sure what it is. The other two still look the same right now. This one is a bully and is growing like crazy.

jack2.jpgjack1.jpg

200 - African cichlids
                        72 - Salty Bow Front
                        33 Cube - community
                        10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

Is it a Red Texas?

I don't believe these are Texas cichlids. They could have been at one point but there is something genetically different.
                          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

just wanted to update. I'm leaning towards Jack Dempsey. Maybe a cross of that and some other. I'm still not sure what it is. The other two still look the same right now. This one is a bully and is growing like crazy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13708[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13709[/ATTACH]
                            Def not Jack Dempseys.. Not any pure species of cichlids I've ever seen. I still would not consider these Texas hybrids.

Comment

I used to have a 6 ft tank full of texas cichlids in my dining room, and to me it looks like this is 1/2 texas, 1/2 dempsey. on a side note, is it just me or does the fish look bloated?
                              my fish house:
                              2.5g- ramshorn hatchery
                              6g eclipse- yellow shrimp, chili rasboras, yellow apple snails
                              29g- geo grow-out, angels, 12"fire eel, dwarf frog, apple snails
                              45g- jade sleeper gobies, native killifish, feeder endlers

75g-
                              2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby
                              125g- fahaka puffer, rainbow shark
                              and about a dozen bettas....

Comment

Originally posted by allysangels View Post
                                I used to have a 6 ft tank full of texas cichlids in my dining room, and to me it looks like this is 1/2 texas, 1/2 dempsey. on a side note, is it just me or does the fish look bloated?
                                Noticed that as well. Didnt know if it might be bloat or just full from feeding.
                                ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Working...
                                X