Bowfins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrAin View Post
    I usually catch some in the ditch neart my familys place. Its gonna be a while till they come back. It was really dry last year and the pond where the adults live dried up. I'll keep you in mind when they start showing up again. We call them grinnel. They have rows of sharp, tiny teeth and i have seen them with red, green, and a bright aqua color during spawning season.
    Awesome!

My folks stay out in Damon so I wonder if there are any nearby places there. I know they have a creek running through their piece of land which I might try out first
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

They tend to be in slow moving backwater areas. Im sure damon has some around there. Once i found a school in about a foot of water in a flooded corner of the property. It looked like a cloud of black dust.

200 - African cichlids
      72 - Salty Bow Front
      33 Cube - community
      10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

you don't need a fishing License if you fish in a state park... from the shore or a pier, you will need one only if in a boat in a state park.
        http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat...sh/stateparks/
        Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
        Didn't think to search it on here, thanks nick!

Looks like he caught one two years back in brazos bend park! Time to get a fishing license and get my gear together!
        Last edited by CRUSHER; 04-13-2012, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Ek! Catch me one! I pay!
          210 gallon ~ S/A, C/A build; jaguar, dovii, flowerhorn, gold doviI, 2 red devils, pacu, shovel nose cat
          125 gallon long ~ African cichlids
          10 gallon ~ ghost shrimp breeding (fish treats) haha

Comment

I guess I will have to camp sienna and see if i can find a place along the river where they would live...
            Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by BrAin View Post
              I usually catch some in the ditch neart my familys place. Its gonna be a while till they come back. It was really dry last year and the pond where the adults live dried up. I'll keep you in mind when they start showing up again. We call them grinnel. They have rows of sharp, tiny teeth and i have seen them with red, green, and a bright aqua color during spawning season.
              These bad boys can live in silt or dried mud indefinitely by using their swim bladder as a lung and breathing air until the rains come and refill their pond. So cool!
              <*||||>< <*||||>< <*||||><

Comment

Originally posted by CRUSHER View Post
                you don't need a fishing License if you fish in a state park... from the shore or a pier, you will need one only if in a boat in a state park.
                http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat...sh/stateparks/
                I wasn't planning on getting one, just posting that for the crowd here to see just in case. I'm asian, I've never owned a license to fish. Plus I'm gonna bring sunkenmetal with me... he's white so he'll get me out of trouble
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
                  I wasn't planning on getting one, just posting that for the crowd here to see just in case. I'm asian, I've never owned a license to fish. Plus I'm gonna bring sunkenmetal with me... he's white so he'll get me out of trouble
                  Why do you think I would keep you out of trouble LOL
                  Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by aggrocichlidfan View Post
                    Ek! Catch me one! I pay!
                    I don't think it's "legal" to sell.

If I find one give it a week or two and I'll probably get over the infatuation.

ABout that riverworm fish you asked about... I found some but not for sale right now.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by sunkenmetal View Post
                      Why do you think I would keep you out of trouble LOL
                      Compare your skin color to your wife's.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

How do you know I won't get you into trouble...
                        Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Cause Ima act like I can't speak english and it's either you go down with me or straighten up and get us out of trouble.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I will just say you kid napped me.
                            Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

sommabeeech!
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by mdwalt View Post
                                These bad boys can live in silt or dried mud indefinitely by using their swim bladder as a lung and breathing air until the rains come and refill their pond. So cool!
                                I've seen them live on land for a week or so but the pond has never been that dry for such a long period. I dont think any of the adults would have made it but you know how nature always finds a way to survive.

200 - African cichlids
                                72 - Salty Bow Front
                                33 Cube - community
                                10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

Working...
                                X