Keeping a Vampire (Atya gabonensis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping a Vampire (Atya gabonensis)

I am interested in anyone that has kept this species themselves. I have seen them quite often and have read about them online, but actual keepers with their first hand experiance would be appreciated.

I know they are a filter feeder, how does their care differ from the other filter feeder?

They are quite sizable, does anyone keep them with larger fish and what are your opinions on housing them as such?

Water parameters they seem to do well with? Everything online suggests they are from the riverine (more nuetral Ph) areas of Cameroon. Has anyone kept them in a Rift Lake set up and how did they do?

Any interesting tricks or something that surprised you, maybe a temp increase or fluctuation that brought about unexpected results.

Just was wondering and they are available regularly. It might get someone interested in trying them out...
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Re: Keeping a Vampire (Atya gabonensis)

The only thing that I can add us to keep them with fish small enough there that they won't pick at the Atya when they molt. Giving them a housing place where fish can't get to them might turn out to be a challenge
    http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

I was wondering if molting in this species might be an issue with larger fish. They seem to be fairly stout and quite sizable. They appear to have some formidable offensive claws as well. I have read they are fairly nocturnal and if given anything they will burrow and hide away. Just wondering if could be a fun oddball in a more passive Tanganyikan tank (Cyps and shellies) or if this would be too far outside their comfort zone. I imagine they could really capitalize in a Tang/Rift lake tank with more passive fish as they would lack any competition for their food source and love the higher flow rates and water movement.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Re: Keeping a Vampire (Atya gabonensis)

I wouldn't classify shellies as passive fish LOL and the atya claws won't do any good when molting due to lack of a hard shell, but even as defense or offense. Cyps will probably be ok to have with these. I've had Mbuna tear up big crawfish while they were molting, so I'm extrapolating here but I can totally see it happening with a number of shellies.
        http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Indeed, we have muti's and I have heard they are far nicer then some of the occelatus and lepidolamprologus types... I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has tried them in a setup like that. I know there are a few Tanganyikan crustaceans available occasionally, but both I have seen are a bit aggressive and I would start worrying for the fish. Those crabs look awesome and the Macrobranchium shrimp would be far more aggressive. It would be nice to get some neothaluma snails, we just need a few accidentally making it into a shipment bag and we would be set...
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

Working...
          X