AquaClear 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AquaClear 50

I bought this new filter after reading all the good reviews on it. Looks pretty nice but I wasn't expecting it to have so many parts to put together. Plus stacking the filter elements? I'm pretty new to all of this, but it's a little crazy.
    Last edited by Lairdc76; 06-05-2013, 08:45 PM.

It really doesn't have that many parts actually, lol.

its an amazing filter, all you'd need to replace is the carbon and the white one I forgot what it's called. But not the sponge just wash that off with aquarium water, never faucet water.
    20Long
    8Ebi

Comment

Keep the sponge (mechanical/biological media) and biomax (your biological media). Toss or give away the carbon and buy a 100ml bag of purigen or just use the sponge and biomax. There should only be a u shaped tube, an entension tube, the impeller, and the motor. If you look at one or already seen one assembled, it's easy to put it together. Use google image if you need pictures.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

I read the instructions on it this time, unlike my mishap with my feeder. It's alot nicer than my other filter that I have on there now. Might have to get me another to replace my old one.

Comment

Best HOB filters on the market, they are all we use. Overfiltering is never bad with Aqua-Clears and their customizable media options allow any configuration you want. Definitely the closest thing to a canister.
          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

What size tank is it on? There's a lower number on the tank rating. Normally I don't put the filter on anything bigger. AquaClear 50 says 30-50gal normally I'll put it on a 10-20gal. For a 30-50 gal tank I'll put an AC70 or AC110. For a 50-100 One or two AC110.

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
              Best HOB filters on the market, they are all we use. Overfiltering is never bad with Aqua-Clears and their customizable media options allow any configuration you want. Definitely the closest thing to a canister.
              Definitely. Although you easily gut any other HOB and stuff it with bio media and a sponge to get something similar to an AquaClear.

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
                What size tank is it on? There's a lower number on the tank rating. Normally I don't put the filter on anything bigger. AquaClear 50 says 30-50gal normally I'll put it on a 10-20gal. For a 30-50 gal tank I'll put an AC70 or AC110. For a 50-100 One or two AC110.

I have a 55gal and my plan is to have two aqua clear 50's on it. I just ordered one for now to check it out and see how well it works

Comment

Originally posted by Lairdc76 View Post
                  I have a 55gal and my plan is to have two aqua clear 50's on it. I just ordered one for now to check it out and see how well it works
                  I would do two AC70s or two AC110s. That's just me though. I like to overfilter my tanks.

Comment

These are nice little filters. My daughter has one on a 26g hex. It keeps that tank clear. 2 should be good on a 55g.
                    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Greatest filter I've ever used! I've gone from tetra-marineland and I was fed up with changing the cartridges every two weeks and spending a fortune so I randomly grabbed the 50 for my 20ga. Best filter ever media is much cheaper online but still you can either buy the carbon from aquaclear it make your own just using loose carbon and filter media bags or even interchange media. To me it is the best HOB on the market its the convinience of a HOB but the media customization of a canister and its design is awesome!

Sent from my TARDIS using Xparent Green Taptalk

Comment

Purigen > carbon.

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
                          Purigen > carbon.

What is it exactly?

Sent from my TARDIS using Xparent Green Taptalk

Comment

It's a polymer that absorbs various nasties out of the water and can be recharged and reused. Read more about it on the Seachem website.
                            Last edited by SunnyHouTX; 06-12-2013, 10:10 AM.
                            http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
                              It's a polymer that absorbs various nasties out I'd the water and can be recharged and reused. Read more about it on the Seachem website.
                              That's about it. It polishes water just as carbon does, but much better. It can be recharged and reused unlike carbon that usually goes out within a week unless you use in large qualities in a reactor. Purigen will last much longer and you can decide when you want to recharge.

Comment

Working...
                              X