Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oryzias woworae

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • armthehomeless
    replied
    I moved all the adults to a different tank and several weeks later, I found several little tiny fry swimming around !!!

    Leave a comment:


  • black_knight
    replied
    Very nice! Your female has colored up too.

    Leave a comment:


  • armthehomeless
    replied




    Leave a comment:


  • marauder_77868
    replied
    Here's a link to the description:

    Leave a comment:


  • black_knight
    replied
    Good luck with yours. Mine have eggs currently. The first set of fry didn't make it. No special food needed. They eat most anything. I'm feeding blood worms once a week, tetra color bits and a mixture of freeze dried krill, mysis, and brine shrimp.
    Last edited by black_knight; 01-22-2011, 12:23 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Navarro
    replied
    I have a great article but is in Japanese I also attended a presentation in Phoenix, AZ where a Lady from New York talk for well over an hour about them I'll try to get you more info.
    Cheers,
    Luis

    Leave a comment:


  • marauder_77868
    replied
    There is a brief article and very nice picture of them in the November issue of Practical Fishkeeping.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mzungu
    replied
    Oh, wow! That's awesome, Tim! I've been looking at these fish on one of our distribution lists for work for months now, with interest. I'm glad someone got them. Please keep us updated. And thank you for the shots. That's really cool about the females carrying eggs in their anal fins - I didn't know this about them.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sea-agg09
    replied
    Really cool fish. Like other smaller killifish (like my native diamonds), they are pretty energetic. If you possibly want to save the eggs, try a spawning mop, that you can take out after they spawn.

    Leave a comment:


  • armthehomeless
    replied


    Leave a comment:


  • TonyO
    replied
    There are impulse buys (this) and then there are IMPULSE BUYS. I don't know anything about them, but they sound interesting.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sea-agg09
    replied
    They are an asian killifish, so you're right in your assumptions.

    Leave a comment:


  • armthehomeless
    started a topic Oryzias woworae

    Oryzias woworae

    Well I did it. I did what I always tell everyone not to do - made a spontaneous decision. I just picked up several pairs of Oryzias woworae from Fish Gallery. I didn't know much about them at the time - other than one of there common names - "Sulawesi Ricefish". After a bit of research, I got even more intrigued. The females carry eggs on their anal fins for a couple day until they scrape them off onto a plant. They have been recently discovered and named.

    I added them to a 30g planted tank. I was a bit worried as to whether or not I would have to feed special live food for them or not. Luckily they readily flake . . . and seem to be supplementing their diet with red cherry shrimplets. The males have developed a nice red and blue on their body. I currently have two females with eggs on their anal fins. Since it takes 2-3 weeks for the eggs to hatch . . . and I have assassins snails all over the tank, I doubt any of the eggs will make it. I may have to move the fish to another tank to get fry. I've been told tat adults won't predate the fry.

    Has anyone had any experience with these guys - they seem very similar to an egg scattering killifish?
Working...
X