Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why aren't there more women into fishkeeping?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • myjohnson
    replied
    How many hours do you think the lights where out total Traci?

    Why do you think this tank got hit while others didn't?

    I need my new battery to come in soon....this freaks me out.

    I have the same problem at my house when there is a big storm.

    All outlets lining the kitchen wall at would go out and I have to turn the circuit breakers one and off to get the outlets to run again.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kittysnax
    replied
    scary! Im glad you saved some!

    Worst thing I ever had to do was dig out a half rotten 13" knife fish with my bare hands. Dead rotting carcasses dont bother me, but for some reason that knife fish gave me nightmares (literally) LOL

    Leave a comment:


  • cichlid1409
    replied
    Originally posted by PhishPhreek View Post
    I finally convinced my wife that she needed a 55g tank in her science class and thought I had finally drawn her into the hobby until I found out that she had deligated all the maintaince chores to her students............ at least they loved it.

    Leave a comment:


  • PhishPhreek
    replied
    I finally convinced my wife that she needed a 55g tank in her science class and thought I had finally drawn her into the hobby until I found out that she had deligated all the maintaince chores to her students............ at least they loved it.

    Leave a comment:


  • imagirlgeek
    replied
    I think you are right!

    Leave a comment:


  • Mzungu
    replied
    Had a Traci-like moment of inspiration a couple of minutes ago.

    I'm thinking that some women might not enjoy going into the freezer for ice and having to move ziplock bags of dead fish on top of the ice trays out of the way...

    Leave a comment:


  • imagirlgeek
    replied
    Originally posted by TROPHS4LIFE View Post
    lol funny read until the losing tropheus part,glad you caught it before more losses......................
    I'm glad someone found the humor in it. As frustrating it is to do massive tank maintenance based on an emergency situation, I literally laughed out loud when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and that was the moment I KNEW. Not many people (in general) would go through all that for fish, much less women. You gotta really love this hobby to get in it and stay in it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mzungu
    replied
    Geez, Traci. Glad to hear almost everyone's all right.

    And even if all that work is a good explanation of why there aren't more women into fishkeeping, I can say one thing...Doesn't matter here in Houston, because 2/3 admins on the local fishkeeping forum are women! )

    Leave a comment:


  • imagirlgeek
    replied
    Originally posted by wesleydnunder View Post
    On one of the new circuits in your office?

    Mark
    Not one of the new ones, no....I don't think. It was the one on the wall that has the cutout to the kitchen. But I had an old lamp plugged in to heat my BBS and it's kind of a sketchy old lamp. Gets hot, shuts itself off, stuff like that. It's in the trash now. I just really have a feeling that was the culprit.

    Leave a comment:


  • wesleydnunder
    replied
    Originally posted by imagirlgeek View Post
    I was able to answer my own question this morning. And the thing is, it didn't even occur to me until just a few minutes ago. So I dried my hands and sat down to type this up.

    We tripped a breaker at 3am in one of the fish rooms (I believe it's because of a faulty lamp...I could be wrong). I didn't even realize it until I went in to turn on the lights at noon. Everyone was okay, EXCEPT in the Ikola/Petro tank. Lost a handful, most everyone else was laying on the bottom, panting. I think if I hadn't noticed when I did, the whole tank would have been lost. So here's why more women aren't into fishkeeping....

    1. 3 hours of nonstop emergency response on above mentioned tank.
    2. 2 - 90% water changes
    3. Removal of approximately 150lbs. of rock...which is still spread out on several towels on the floor.
    4. Discovery and removal of dead fish.
    5. Discovery and removal of 'almost' dead fish and resuscitation attempts using Home Depot buckets and air pumps.
    6. Tshirt is wet, up to and including, both armpits.
    7. Hair, which was clean, is now frizzy and sweaty and pulled back in a very unattractive ponytail.
    8. One finger on right hand currently throbbing due to bending the (already short) fingernail back.
    9. 4th and 5th toes on right foot scuffed from running into rocks mentioned in #3.
    10. The tank has 2 additional sponge filters and an extra powerhead running on it right now. Cords running everywhere...definitely not a 'pretty tank'.

    But the fish are swimming, and all look good. No one seems to be suffering any aftereffects. Luckily I only lost a few...mostly fry. But once I was able to stop, step back, and breathe for a minute, it occurred to me that I just answered my own question and had to type it up and share.
    On one of the new circuits in your office?

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • TROPHS4LIFE
    replied
    lol funny read until the losing tropheus part,glad you caught it before more losses......................

    Leave a comment:


  • Darbex
    replied
    Yeah that sucks Traci. Tell Charles he better fix that crap

    Leave a comment:


  • myjohnson
    replied
    WTF!?

    Thank god you got to them in time!!!!

    Sorry to hear the bad news Traci.
    Last edited by myjohnson; 02-03-2010, 05:06 PM. Reason: sp

    Leave a comment:


  • imagirlgeek
    replied
    I was able to answer my own question this morning. And the thing is, it didn't even occur to me until just a few minutes ago. So I dried my hands and sat down to type this up.

    We tripped a breaker at 3am in one of the fish rooms (I believe it's because of a faulty lamp...I could be wrong). I didn't even realize it until I went in to turn on the lights at noon. Everyone was okay, EXCEPT in the Ikola/Petro tank. Lost a handful, most everyone else was laying on the bottom, panting. I think if I hadn't noticed when I did, the whole tank would have been lost. So here's why more women aren't into fishkeeping....

    1. 3 hours of nonstop emergency response on above mentioned tank.
    2. 2 - 90% water changes
    3. Removal of approximately 150lbs. of rock...which is still spread out on several towels on the floor.
    4. Discovery and removal of dead fish.
    5. Discovery and removal of 'almost' dead fish and resuscitation attempts using Home Depot buckets and air pumps.
    6. Tshirt is wet, up to and including, both armpits.
    7. Hair, which was clean, is now frizzy and sweaty and pulled back in a very unattractive ponytail.
    8. One finger on right hand currently throbbing due to bending the (already short) fingernail back.
    9. 4th and 5th toes on right foot scuffed from running into rocks mentioned in #3.
    10. The tank has 2 additional sponge filters and an extra powerhead running on it right now. Cords running everywhere...definitely not a 'pretty tank'.

    But the fish are swimming, and all look good. No one seems to be suffering any aftereffects. Luckily I only lost a few...mostly fry. But once I was able to stop, step back, and breathe for a minute, it occurred to me that I just answered my own question and had to type it up and share.

    Leave a comment:


  • cichlid1409
    replied
    Originally posted by Glass Onion View Post
    multiple tanks (shoes and purses) like a lot of chicks do.
    I don't think its really fair to compare tanks to purses. Alot of guys collect different guns and cars too, would those be like purses and shoes... i dont think so so. Guys just like to have their toys. the only difference between MEN and BOYS is the price of their toys :)

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X