Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Molly breeding update with photo

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mzungu
    replied
    :(

    I even specifically searched for a picture of a molly so it would be easier to compare it to yours!

    But, that's a gonopodium for ya. On a dalmation molly, BTW. :)

    Leave a comment:


  • jarrodaden
    replied
    Dude, that is an UGLY fish. Thanks though. It served the purposed.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mzungu
    replied
    Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post
    What does a gonopodium look like. I assume I am looking for something other than "fan shaped".
    From http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-p...at-272352.html

    Leave a comment:


  • jarrodaden
    replied
    Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
    Was Mom pregnant when you got her? Or is Dad in the tank as well?

    They probably won't change color - looks like you got some mutts. :)

    Not sure how long it will take until they can have babies - I'll wait for someone else to answer that one.

    And yes, the anal fin will become a gonopodium in a male, and will be fan-shaped in a female. The males are also usually more colorful with longer fins. Usually.
    Yes. She was packing when I bought her. No idea who dad was...

    What does a gonopodium look like. I assume I am looking for something other than "fan shaped".

    Leave a comment:


  • makatak123
    replied
    Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post
    More losees... :(

    A few managed to get wedge into the gravel at the bottom.
    that happened to me to!3 of my limia perugiae got wedged in to the gravel.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mzungu
    replied
    Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post

    Mom was gold and these are not (yet). Will they change color or are they "mutts"?
    How much longer will it be until these can make babies?
    How do I spot a female vs. males? It's based upon the extra fin where the poo comes out, right?
    Was Mom pregnant when you got her? Or is Dad in the tank as well?

    They probably won't change color - looks like you got some mutts. :)

    Not sure how long it will take until they can have babies - I'll wait for someone else to answer that one.

    And yes, the anal fin will become a gonopodium in a male, and will be fan-shaped in a female. The males are also usually more colorful with longer fins. Usually.

    Leave a comment:


  • jarrodaden
    replied
    bump

    Leave a comment:


  • jarrodaden
    replied
    Here is a picture after about 3 or 4 weeks.



    I have some questions:

    Mom was gold and these are not (yet). Will they change color or are they "mutts"?
    How much longer will it be until these can make babies?
    How do I spot a female vs. males? It's based upon the extra fin where the poo comes out, right?

    Thanks for any help.

    Leave a comment:


  • jarrodaden
    replied
    Check the filter.

    Leave a comment:


  • BeefyG
    replied
    Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
    :( I'm sorry! :(

    I've seen them do that before, actually. I worked at a pet store in Florida and we used UGFs and pea gravel. It seemed that the only livebearer babies that would actually hide IN the gravel were the mollies - no matter how many other hiding places I provided. Weird... But they always seemed to do okay, as long as I watched where the gravel vac went. :)
    My mollies had a bunch of babies... and I just realized I haven't seen any since my last water change. I thought they were just hiding in the holey rock.

    Leave a comment:


  • jarrodaden
    replied
    Still having ammonia issues after backing down on feeding and doing a water change.

    The food I am using for the fry is Kyorin Hikari "Little Bites". Mom is getting TetraMin flakes. I don't know what is causing the spikes.

    Leave a comment:


  • mark razmandi
    replied
    Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post
    I don't want to be substrate free. I might switch to Leslie's pool sand.
    PFS is great too, thats what i got in all my tanks

    Leave a comment:


  • jarrodaden
    replied
    I don't want to be substrate free. I might switch to Leslie's pool sand.

    Leave a comment:


  • mark razmandi
    replied
    Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post
    More losees... :(

    A few managed to get wedge into the gravel at the bottom.
    maybe you should do bare bottom....my fry tank is a bare 10g with a filter and heater, thats it...that way i dont have anything to worry about and i can always see everything

    Leave a comment:


  • Mzungu
    replied
    :( I'm sorry! :(

    I've seen them do that before, actually. I worked at a pet store in Florida and we used UGFs and pea gravel. It seemed that the only livebearer babies that would actually hide IN the gravel were the mollies - no matter how many other hiding places I provided. Weird... But they always seemed to do okay, as long as I watched where the gravel vac went. :)

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X