Modifying return line from sump into tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying return line from sump into tank

I had my first experience with a check valve failing I got a new sump pump that has the “feed” button, Sunday night used it, no problem. Monday night used it and my tank started draining into sump I got pump back on before too much had drained but opened my eyes to what a ticking time bomb I have here lol. I have come to the conclusion that a return line either from th current drilled hole in the bottom of the tank where water returns if I can find a return pipe that will fit which would eliminate the issue of check valve possibly failing. (At least from what I understand from research done. I have no experience with sumps outside of buying this tank from someone it was already drilled/set up and I added water and haven’t had any issues until now. I would appreciate any/all advice, pointers, information as like I said I have no idea what the best/safest option here is and I am losing sleep over this check valve not functioning. I can provide pictures if needed.. if it’s easier to text my number is 832 745 one two one zero
    I am hoping to have something in place in the next 24 hrs if possible.

Typically when you have a return line plumbed into the bottom of a tank it is used with a "closed loop" filter. Meaning if there is a loss of power there isn't an issue bc the filter is sealed and won't allow any water to escape. If you have a sump plumbed into the system and the return is through the bottom of the tank, then there is definitely room for a catastrophic event. Me personally, I would take the return over the back wall of the tank and plug the bulkhead on the bottom of the tank. A check valve is the only option that I'm aware of in this scenario. Hopefully someone will chime in that knows more than I do as my knowledge on the subject is pretty limited. Good luck!
    20g mixed reef

Comment

Working...
    X