Nitrate Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nitrate Levels

Blacksmith, I have a reef tank myself and its not as simple as you make it seem.

I use RO/DI water in which salt is mixed to make saltwater......and then with the caulerpa/chaeto/etc. Those things are algae....yes they work but in their off time plants/algae produce co2 which will lowers the pH so the whole reverse photo-period limits the fluctuation.

Junke, if you can't find the big industrial one like delock has then the plain water purifiers at home depot or lowes is the same thing but in a smaller form.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Also with a sw tank its not gonna be as simple as running tap water straight into the tank.

You still have to mix outside and unless its FOWLR then the impurities/minerals/organics/etc in tap will have the tank a mess in no time.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

well im gonna do straight up freshwater.  so if i go to lowes and get one what do i need to look for???

Comment

The biggest drinking water purifier.....probably try looking for one that you could thread the phyton/water hose to to simplify things.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

yeah. wel i was readin my filter for the icebox and it says it reduces chlorine taste and odor, lead, chemicals, sand soil, parasitic cysts.  says it has a .5 micron nominal.   i guess they have them that get rid of all the chlorine?  but i though a few months back we had the discussion about icebox filters not bein good enough for tank water?

Comment

most if not all water companies use chloramine now, not chlorine.  Almost NOTHING gets rid of chloramine without breaking it down to chlorine and ammonia first.  

I just wonder what it's doing to our bodies over the long term??
              The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
              Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

makin you healthier.  lol

Comment

There is a EPA std for all that stuff....there are documents online which state how much over what length of time before it causes noticable problems....I test my water for it all and put my fish at half of what is reccommended for humans. The ice box does not use as much water as a tank would.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                  X