Special Event - Dr. Anton Lamboj - July 29th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Event - Dr. Anton Lamboj - July 29th

We have arranged for Dr. Anton Lamboj to give a presentation here in Houston on the evening (after normal working hours) of Thursday, July 29, 2010. Anton is a wonderful speaker and he has been very much wanting to come speak to us. I would like to see a large attendance as this sort of speaker doesn't come along often (he's from Austria). UPDATE: LOCATION POSTED BELOW!! I just wanted to post this so that people can start planning since that date is during the work week. Here is a little bit about him:

(Taken from: The Cichlid Fishes of Western Africa by Anton Lamboj)

Anton Lamboj was born 1956 and has been an aquarist since the age of ten. Around 1980, he began to take a special interest in the cichlids of West and Central Africa. This interest eventually led, in 1988, to the beginning of his academic education at the University of Vienna, an undertaking made while continuing to work full-time. He was awarded his Master's degree in 1993 and his Ph.D. in 1997; both works were focused on the systematics of West African cichlids.

In addition to his "day" job, Anton Lamboj has worked as a lecturer at the University of Vienna since 1998. He teaches general biology of fishes, with the biology of perciform fishes as a more specialized goal, as well as instructing on didactics. Additionally, he works on the systematics and evolutionary biology of chromidotilapiine cichlids using morphological and anatomical methods, coupled with ethological studies and molecular methods.

Over the years, Anton Lamboj has made 13 field/collecting trips to Africa. In his works he has collaborated with several leading scientific institutions (e.g., the American Museum of Natural History in New York and the Musée Royal de l'Afrique Central in Tervuren). He has authored over 100 papers (both academic and hobbyist) in six languages, including two books. The above accomplishments, coupled with the numerous presentations he has made in various countries, are indications of his scientific and aquaristic competence when discussing western African cichlids.

PLEASE JOIN US AS THE
    HOUSTON AQUARIUM SOCIETY
    PRESENTS
    Dr. Anton Lamboj

SPEAKING ON THE CICHLIDS AND OTHER FISHES OF WESTERN AFRICA

DATE: - - THURSDAY - -
    July 29, 2010
    STARTING AT 7PM

4527 LOMITAS ST.
    HOUSTON, TX 77098

Open to the public and the store will be open for purchases!
    Last edited by marauder_77868; 07-13-2010, 12:35 PM. Reason: Update
    Charles Jones
    http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
    Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

if youre into west africans=your lucky day

Comment

Any updates?
      So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

Updated first post with location and time, etc.
        Charles Jones

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
        Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

Hi,

I just wanted to add my two cents about Anton. He is an extraordinary aquarist, scientist and photographer and his program should not be missed. Having been a serious hobbyist long before he studied to become a scientist, Anton brings a wealth of detailed and practical information to the keeping, feeding and breeding of many types of fish, not just cichlids and even there, not just West African cichlids(tetras, killies, bettas, etc) - particularly the small species that do so well in planted aquariums. I think Anton maintains around 60 aquariums in his home, all set-up for breeding the natural way. Any serious hobbyist regardless of his or her own interests would not want to miss Anton and budding hobbyists will see just what this wonderful world of fish is at its very best.

Comment

where is he going to speak at Fish Gallery? Do they have a room in the back? I would like to go, but just don't want to be pushed against a wall the whole time.
            Fishtafarian- Fish are more than just a hobby, they are an obsession.

110 gal Tall (Angel Community)
            29 gal (Planted Puffer)
            10 gal (snails and small planted)
            5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

I guess in that big central room, but depends on how many we have...just in case maybe those who have them could bring some of those fold-up canvas camp chairs...I'll throw what I have in the car as well.
              Charles Jones

Comment

is somebody gonna videotape it for those that can't make it that night?
                215g Malawi Peacocks and Mbuna
                180g Tropheus Ikola and Bemba and Clown Loaches
                58g Bristlenose breeding and grow out

Comment

Possibly...honestly hadn't given it thought until now...I think I have a tripod somewhere...
                  Charles Jones

Comment

Sounds very interesting! It's right by work.
                    Last edited by TonyO; 07-26-2010, 10:24 PM.
                    Tell your boss you need to go home to take care of your "cichlids." It sounds an awful lot like "sick kids." )

Comment

bump for anton,dont miss it

Comment

Quick bump, hope to be there.

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
                        5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Work until 4:30, then Happy Hour with co-workers until 6:30 (right down the road on Kirby), then to Fish Gallery. I'm very excited!
                          Tell your boss you need to go home to take care of your "cichlids." It sounds an awful lot like "sick kids." )

Comment

Having a beer at hooters across the street before. See ya soon

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
                            5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Sorry we had to miss this. However long I'd planned on being there, no one expects the death of a family friend. So we had a funeral to go to tonight. :( Hope it went well for everyone who could make it!
                              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                              X