Angels...Dropping like flies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angels...Dropping like flies

Does anyone have any ideas...I have a friend who has lost 6 or 7 Angels in the last couple of weeks. The fish were showing no signs of scuffling w/ each, no bloating, nothing going on w/ the gills, no missing fins, etc...They were in a tank w/ all Angels and various types of tetras. So, I'm thinking...what ever it is...is specific only to the Angels otherwise the many tetras would be dying off also, such as the water chemistry being out of range.

I read on the internet that years and years ago, there was an illness called "Angel virus or Angel disease" which was pretty rampant amongst the Angel population hobby-wide. It was never determined what was causing it or where it came from before it kinda just phased out without a cure being developed/discovered.. However, strains/traces of it can and is still being reported every once in a while. This illness would just pop up in really healthy Angels, and 2-3 days later you have a dead fish on your hands. So based on what my friend told me about her fish, this is the only conclusion I can draw. I will be testing her water and doing a water change tomorrow, so I'll keep ya'll posted. But in the meantime, in-between time...educate a brotha!!! Thanks.

salt and temp. also take caution tetras can be nit picky.
    140 New World Cichlids
    125 African Lakes Victoria and Malawi
    80 Lake Tanganyika (Burundi Frontosas)
    30 Pundamilia Neyerie Ruti Island group
    29 Tropical Semi Aggressive/Community
    And to think....in January it was just the 29...)

Comment

Having two types of fish in a tank with only one type of fish dying does not necessarily mean there is a disease that's specific to only the dying fish. It could be a difference of how sensitive the fish is. So it's possible there is a water quality issue to which the angels are more sensitive than the tetras.
      Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
      • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
      • 29g Planted - Journal
      • 29g Planted
      • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

I tested the water, and the pH seemed to be higher than it should for Angel. So I bought some buffer powder to get it back down closer to 7.0. It was around the mid-upper middle 7's when I tested it. Did really changed too much in the tank over the last several months other than adding/removing a few plastic plants. So we'll see if this buffering is working when I test the water tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
        X