Cross breeding of Tropheus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross breeding of Tropheus?

First of all, my disclaimer: THIS TOPIC IS ONLY FOR CONVERSATION NOT TO START A WAR OF WORDS!!  

I was thinking how so many tropheus keepers don't want to or afraid of mixing different varieties of tropheus due to cross breeding. What so wrong with that??since Discus breeders have cross breed to get many different beautiful strains or varieties. I don't hear many hobbyist dismissing them.

If you naturally cross breed in term of not injection chemical or hormones like those "tattoo" mollies, then it might be okay.

Thought?

ps. please no hate pm!! :P

Re: Cross breeding of Tropheus?

I would have to disagree. Being a true tang hobbyist, part of the enjoyment for me is knowing that the fish I have are pure and came straight from the lake, and I always plan to keep it that way. My thoughts have always been to duplicate their environment the best I can...if they don't cross breed in the wild, then why start in my tank?

When you cross breed, you end up with fish that look like this.

Yeah, at first it may look 'cool', but in the end I would say it's still frowned upon amongst most tropheus hobbyist.

Comment

Well, being new to keeping tropheus, I don't have alot of experience or knowledge to draw from, but as I understand it, the purity of the species is part of the art of keeping them. Though I am sure some folks buy tropheus and care not for what really happens to them in the long run, most of the serious keepers are looking to respect the linage and the fish and they strive to keep the future stock of the species as pure and true as possible.  

Steve.....aka.....CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Got any idea what the pictured tropheus is a cross between?

Comment

Here is my take on it. I enjoy pure fish, but that's just my opinion if you want a crossbred fish more power to you( as long as it's natural, meaning no hormones). The whole point of this or any hobby for that matter is to bring enjoyment to your life. So if you enjoy the fish go for it, remember you are in this hobby is for you, not for anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by katytropheus";p="
            Got any idea what the pictured tropheus is a cross between?
            my guess would be a sp. black bemba and some sort of red variant (chimba, moliro etc.)

Comment

Not to start a war either...but most tropheus have been crossbreed at one point in nature.

Comment

If I am not mistaken the maker of those Hybrids had posted that he crossed Bulu Point and Moliro might have been Kachese.

I have been keeping Tropheus for 11 years now, and in every book I read, the author stresses that you should not keep certain Tropheus together or they will make un-wanted hybrid fish that need to be culled someway or another.

I have worked hard to do that, but even in my own ignorance I did produce a couple hybrids that I destroyed all but 1 to see what he would grow out to look like, then I isolated him, and he died on his own after about 5 years.

To me, it is important to keep them true.

There are a number of Tropheus Hybrids in the market that can be had, but most Tropheus keepers will tell you that they would never buy them.

There will always be a market for someone who wants them, just like discuss or other fish that are highly hybridized to have unatural colors or behavoirs.  People like it.

Just be careful what you mix, and be honest about it is all.  Those fish are yours, and they should stay that way in my opinion.

Take care,

Geoff
                380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

ok let me revise...cross breed to the point to where they start looking like the fish in the above picture.  

Comment

I got you man....

Any animal will breed so why stress trying to keep a pure breed!

Comment

They actually have come out and said the red phoenix guys were "Dye-Injected" Albino Kipili.  

There are over 150 known Tropheus species, its a shame that someone cannot find one they like, that they have to go out and start playing mother nature and make their own.

Comment

As long as the Hybrids stay in your tank, that's yours..

Comment

Originally posted by geoff_tropheus";p="
                          As long as the Hybrids stay in your tank, that's yours..

Comment

Originally posted by geoff_tropheus";p="
                            They actually have come out and said the red phoenix guys were "Dye-Injected" Albino Kipili.  

There are over 150 known Tropheus species, its a shame that someone cannot find one they like, that they have to go out and start playing mother nature and make their own.
                            Mother Nature started with 7 and is at 150?

Comment

My bad...

150 color variants of 6 species.

Six species of Tropheus are currently recognised:

Tropheus annectens - Boulenger, 1900
                              Tropheus brichardi - Nelissen & Thys van den Audenaerde, 1975
                              Tropheus duboisi - Marlier, 1959
                              Tropheus moorii - Boulenger, 1898
                              Tropheus kasabae - Nelissen, 1977
                              Tropheus polli - Axelrod, 1977

Comment

Working...
                              X