Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GHAC Events & Activities

Hello Fellow GHAC'ers

So far, I've received only 1 email with ideas and or suggestions for events and activities for the club. I know the meeting was just this  past friday night and we all have other things to take care of or think about, but again, try to give some thought towards what you would like to see the club officers and fellow members, do as a club.

I personally was thinking about having some of our members who specialize in a certain type of fish or aquatic setup, to be kind enough to share their specialty with the rest of the club as a guest speaker at a club meeting, and maybe even have a short Q&A sessions with us fellow members.

Or we could maybe invite a professional guest speaker if the cost was not too costly, to speak on matters we all might be interested in or benefit from.

Another idea I would like to entertain, is to hear from every member who does not mind public speaking to introduce themselves and tell the members present about themselves and their interests in the hobby.

So, again, pass on some of your ideas as they come to you. We would like to hear from you and explore every suggestion or idea presented.

Post your comments or idea right here on this thread if you like or email any club officer with them.

Thanks
    Steve/CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Re: GHAC Events & Activities

hey even better idea....email steve with all the ideas......lol....just kidding....i'll be glad to get the emails and forward them to cichlidfan/aka...steve....hehehehehehe....

i think speaking on the different specialties is a great idea......i would like to see us get a local fish store to speak about fishkeeping and the best things to do for the fish we all keep...i would like to see a rep from one of the fish food companies to come speak and maybe bring some samples of food....

just a thought process going this morning.....sorry if it sounds silly.....

Comment

Possibly a tank tour eventually?
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Any and all ideas will most likely be reviewed by the officers and then put before the club membership for approval. The only problem I see with some events will be related most likely to money or time availability.

Anyway, as you think of them, submit your thoughts and ideas, and we'll see if we can't get them organized and approved for future events and activities.

Thanks again....

CF

PS..... I still would like a few folks to step up and join me in this "committee".... :) C'mon, you know it's only a part time gig, Anyone.....?
        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

oh oh oh how about a progressive dinner type of thing where we travel from house to house and each house has part of a meal.  Not only do we get to see new tanks, but we also get food.  Nothing major, but enough to keep the belly satisfied.
          5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
          20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
          29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
          29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
          29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
          55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
          75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
          / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

hmmm food AND fish, i would be mighty tempted by that. sounds like an interesting idea, i would like to volunteer my self for assistance on the commitee Steve, because we all know i like talking about stuff, especially fish related stuff. I also think a tank tour would be cool , or maybe a giant group outing to different stores. maybe give them a call in advance so they knew around when we would be stoping by so as to have atour of different facilities, but more as a group shopping and see event , because even with a small group of us we could help answer each others questions as we look at different things. also it woul help raise awareness in the stores that there is a new club in town and they might want to add support whether its through word of mouth or maybe we make business cards to leave behind so more people can learn about the GHAC. and if we could get more cards from KEN maybe even put out more for houstonfishbox.
            Never fear I is here
            David Abeles
            Vice President
            Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I will second Tiapan being on the committee as long as he swears NOT to recite any movie with more than 3 consecutive lines and certainly not a whole chapter.
              As far as the progressive dinner thing we could possibly rent a van or borrow someone's (a couple of them would be best) to take everyone around so we can still socialize.  I would offer to map the homes out for each driver along with phone numbers in the event of anyone getting lost.  Whatever is being served at each home will be simple...paper plate kind of things so that that person can go along as well (pre-prepared).
              5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
              20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
              29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
              29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
              29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
              55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
              75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
              / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Alrighty, I have a co-committee member....whooopeeeee....
                Thanks Taipan/David (correct)? for steppin up to the plate, now, I would love to have a woman on the committee to get the womens perspective on the hobby, so if there is a woman interested in lending her time and helping us guys out, please give us a shout.....We would love to have you.

:)

CF

Comment

if noone volunteers then i'll lend the two of you a hand getting things organized......

Comment

Steve. You could organise a fishing trip. Livingston State park is nice to stay in. Browders Marina was good late night fishing back in February. We were pulling 17" blue cats one after the other.

Comment

Let's see...30+ members, assume several won't be able...say 25 people...that's school bus size right there!
                      15 people (however welcome) wouldn't fit in my apartment, I had to maximize just to set up my 7 tanks; it seems like a very short tour considering how spaced out the members are (I mean the distance between dwellings! ); that would seem to be a logistical nightmare having a tour of homes. I'd love to see other people's setups, but is that a practical event?

(Just like SNL...Debbie Downer)
                      Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Comment

Well, how about it's completely voluntary?  Would you have to open your house in order to see other people's tanks?  I'm more than happy to open our door to everyone, and if you can't squeeze in, then you can go outside and check out the pond while people are filtering through.  I don't think it would be a problem fitting people in here, but our seating is rather limited at the moment since we put a couch in storage to accommodate our 125G.  So...you could come in, you just couldn't get too comfortable.    

And as for the members being so spread out, we could split it up by location.  Like one weekend, the NW side, another weekend, the SW side, then SE...you see where I'm going?  I would love to see other member's setups!  And if this doesn't work out, just know that our house is always open for anyone who wants to come by and oogle our fish.  
                        Our Fishhouse
                        Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

We could always do a day trip to the Aquarium at Moody Gardens??? Just a thought. There's lots of great fish, food and beverages :) and then maybe a dinner or something in Galveston afterward? Maybe even block off some rooms at the San Louis and plan a group dinner and drinks in the bar afterward?

That said, I think GirlGeeks idea is fantastic  :clap: good idea baby
                          All men are created equal but his choices determine his value and what's in his heart determines his worth.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Comment

There have been some really good ideas submitted so far, and I think that the best thing to do from this point is to consult with our club officers to see which option sounds best or if we should consider going before the club for voting on any particular idea or event.

As you think of them, (events or activities ....idea's, whatever, write them down here or send them to any club officer or myself and most likely, after the holidays, during our next club meeting we should have some idea of which way we will procede.

Happy Holidays Everyone...

Steve ...aka  CF

Comment

[/quote]Well, how about it's completely voluntary?  Would you have to open your house in order to see other people's tanks?  [quote]

I'm not sure what you mean...nowhere in my post did I suggest anything was mandatory, or that all members would have to be a part of anything to participate.
                              The suggestions made were what I was commenting on, and obviously a very few homes, not apartments, would have to be visited in the same part of town. And using our own transport, as well.
                              I love seeing other setups, and I'm sure everyone else does, too. That is what this thread is for, right? Discussing ideas?
                              I'm not participating in this discussion any more. Too serious for me...
                              Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Comment

Working...
                              X