This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Import from Africa - African Cichlids Aquaculture

I want to gauge the interest of everyone not just to club members, but to all.  Club members will get priority if it comes to that.

The fish list is extensive with a large variety of Tanganyikan Fish.  Some basic rules will be..

1.  In order for your fish to be imported you must be willing to buy atleast 1/2 of the box quanity.

So, what does this mean?  
    Your order total, and any other people ordering the same fish must total atleast 1/2 of the box quanity. Only one person who wants those fish, must pay for 1/2 of the box quanity.  10 people want that fish, their total order amonst the 10 people must total atleast 1/2 the box quanity.

to give you some ideas the box size is about 3ft long and 2 ft wide, and 1ft deep.

Some examples...
    Altolamprologus Calvus White                    QTY: 54
    Benthochromis Tricoti Zambia Large    QTY: 14-18
    Cyathopharynx Foai Kachese                    QTY: 14-18
    Cyphotilapia Frontosa Blue Zambia SHOW    QTY: 6
    Cyphotilapia Frontosa Blue Zambia S    QTY: 30
    Cyprichromis Leptosoma “Jumbo” Blue Orchid  QTY: 36-54
    Julidochromis Regani Nsumbu Zambian Gold    QTY: 84
    Lamprologus Brevis Chimba                    QTY: 210
    Neolamprologus Leleupi Midnight Blue    QTY: 70
    Neolamprologus Mustax Orange Nsumbu    QTY: 70
    Ophtalmotilapia Nasuta Leopard Moliro    QTY: 18-27
    Paracyprichromis Brieni YELLOW CHEEK    QTY: 36-54
    Petrochromis Texas Red Fin Longola - rare    QTY: 14
    Petrochromis Trewavasae Medium/Large    QTY: 42-56
    Synodontis Petricola                                    QTY: 30-60
    Tropheus Moorii Ilangi YELLOW Real    QTY: 56
    Tropheus Moorii Kachese                    QTY: 56
    Xenotilapia Papilio Sunflower Tembwe    QTY: 30

This is only about 5% of the list availible.  I only wanted people to give each of you an idea of how many fish come per box.

3.  The minimum order is 10 Boxes to import to the US.  If we get 15 boxes, we will get a 40% discount of list price.  Each box we import will be about $225 dollars.  This covers all transportation fees from Lake Tangayika to South Africa, and getting each box a plane ticket to Houston Texas from South Africa.

This cost will be diveded between every person who is importing this fish.  This means that if you are the only person importing this fish, then this cost is split between you and Mike.  If there are a number of people going together on the same box of fish, it will be split between all those people and Mike.  So if there is 4 of you together on the same box, then it is split 5 ways, unless all 4 of you are buying 100% of the box.  AS long as there is some amount left over in the box, Mike will contribute to the shipping of the box.

4.  The Customs fee's to get this out of Houston Customs will be equally distributed amonst all who go in on the order.  This cost is usually less than $250 total. This fee also includes United States Wildlife fees.

5.  The importer will acclimate all fish for two weeks, then at that time, you will come and pickup the fish from his location in College Station.  The importer will be Mike Bailey of Texas Tropheus Traders located in College Station.

6.  All fish will be local pickup only, and a small bagging fee will be applied at the time of pickup.

7.  You must pay for your fish 100% upfront before the order is placed.  This order is looking to be placed before the end of November.

8.  DOA policy is at this time, only in the first 24 hours.  During the acclimation period, a loss will be a loss I am sorry.  All fish that die at delivery or acclimation is going to be equally split between the buyers of those fish.  This means that in a box of 50 fish, if 4 people imported that box and 10 fish die, everyone will loose a fish or two so, that the cost will not be 100% on Mike for acclimation loses.  He paid a percentage of the shipping cost, and this is only fair to him.  He will sell you additional fish at the same cost to repalce the losses. The same goes for the DOA credit from the exporter.

9.  To give you an idea of pricing, The Shellies and Paracyps are like $3-7 each, most of the Calvus types are $13-18 each, Benthocrhomis $20-30 each, Petrochromis $30-60 each, OPs are $10 each, Frontossa's are $12 for smalls, up to $300 for adults each. Julies $10 each on average, Lelelupi are $13 each. Tropheus $7-30 each depending on Variant.  

There is range in pricing depending on the variant and size of all the fish.  Almost all the fish will be at or near their full adult size unless specified.

If your interested please post here or PM me.  I will answer most with a PM unless it seems really important that I missed or did not cover.

Take care,

Geoff
    380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
    300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
    180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
    150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Re: Direct Import from Africa - African Cichlids Aquaculture

Here is a link to the website of the African Exporter.

Here is a link to Mike's Website

Comment

So...for example

If I wanted half a box of Benthochromis at say $30 each times 7 is $210, plus $112.50 for shipping and my share of $500 for customs (anywhere form $25 to $50 depending if there are 10 to 20 people who participate).  Is that correct?

My $30 fish becomes $46 to $55 per fish.  Plus cost for the importer and really no guarantee after first 24 hours of arrival.

Correct me if I'm mistaken.  I like to make sure I understand from A to Z... :)
      Raul
      PokerFace

Comment

The Customs Fee's I have been told is actually about $250.  So if we have 10 people that part is reduced to $25 per person.

So using your example Raul, your Benthochromis Tricoti, 1/2 box order (7 Fish) will cost you $210 for 7-Fish + $112.50 Shipping + $25 Customs.  This total is $347.50 or about $50 per fish.

This $50 fish has a 24 hour guaranty from the Exporter that will be refunded if it dies.  After the 24 hour period, the fish will be in 2 weeks acclimation for you to pickup.  If it dies during that two-weeks, it is a loss.

Benthochromis Tricoti fry 1-2" tank raised is $15 ea plus shipping.  Adult Wildcaught, about 6-10" in size is going to cost you $50 a fish on this deal with shipping included.

Order this fish from another importer anywhere in the US, is going to cost you $100 per fish with another $70-120 in shipping to Houston Hobby depending on your order size, this price will more than likely reach $120 per fish. And, you still have to do your own acclimation and the fish only has a live arrival guaranty.

So, if we get 15 boxes together, this cost would be reduced to about $30 per fish, otherwise, yes it would be $50 per fish with the 10 box order.

This is a one time deal for you the hobbyist, to get the chance to fill your fish room or even just one tank, of beautiful wildcaught exotic tanganyikans.  Mike is donating his tank space, and time to acclimate your fish to eating spirulina flake food and and pellets, and to pH of 8.2.

The more people we have the costs will be greatly reduced, and if we get to 15 boxes, that cost can be reduced by 40%.

Anytime you direct import wild fish there is a huge risk, that no matter what care you give the fish, they will not adjust.  I have had the Tropheus Annectens for nearly 4 months, and I still have 2 that will only eat Rommaine and Seaweed.  I lost over half of my order during this time, and I consider myself a expert at keeping these fish. Just so people are not scared off, I have also had shipments where I only lost 1 fish out of 30 and not had problems.  Things can happen.

There is always some risk, but the payoff is huge.

I hope this has clarified some things.

Geoff

Comment

Here is the complete list of what is availible now. If you see something not on the list and you know the fish comes from Zambia it can be collected and included in this order. Any fish that comes from the Zambian Coastline can be ordered, but it is a special order and you may end up being the only person who wants that fish.

Altolamprologus calvus white
          Altolamprologus compressiceps shell 5 pcs only
          Benthochromis Tricoti large and juveniles
          Boulengerochromis microlepis large and small
          Cyathopharynx foae Moliro
          Cyphotilapia frontosa blue Zambia M/L. L and XL sizes
          Cyprichromis Leptosoma jumbo Isanga
          Cyprichromis Leptosoma jumbo mbita Island
          Cyprichromis Leptosoma Chituta neon head
          Cyprichromis Leptosoma jumbo blue orchid
          Cyprichromis Leptosoma jumbo Chaitika
          Cyprichromis Leptosoma jumbo Mtoto 1:1 ratio 18 pairs
          Ectodus Descampsii
          Haplotaxodon Microlepis
          Lepidiolamprologus Profundicola
          Julidochromis dickfeldi chipimbi
          Julidochromis regani nsumbu gold
          Julidochromis transcriptus kapampa 1:1 ratio
          Julidochromis transcriptus gombe 4 pairs only
          Neolamprologus calliurus Chaitika
          Opthamotilapia ventralis gombe
          Opthamotilapia nasuta tiger
          Opthamotilapia ventralis Kekese 5f/3m
          Paracyprichromis brieni Mbita Island
          Petrochromis famula blue fin
          Petrochromis Polydon
          Petrochromis Trewavasae
          Reganochromis calliurus
          Synodontis granulosus
          Synodontis polli
          Synodontis petricola few only
          Triglachromis otostigma
          Tropheus chaitika
          Tropheus chilambo yellow rainbow
          Tropheus chimba
          Tropheus chipimbi
          Tropheus kachese
          Tropheus kala island 5f/3m only
          Tropheus mpulungu
          Tropheus lufubu 1:1 ratio
          Tropheus ilangi yellow
          Tropheus nkonde bright yellow
          Tropheus ndole red
          Xenotilapia flavipinnis gombe 8 pairs only
          Xenotilapia flavipinnis katete 2 pairs only
          Xenotilapia sima isanga

Comment

For those interested, I will be commiting to one Box of Petrochromis Trewavasae, and am looking for someone to go in on a half box of Ectodus Descampsii.  

The Ectodus get about 4" max size, and come 50 to a box, at about $12.50 each with shipping will make about $21 per fish.  They are a bottom dweller sand sifter.
            Here are some pics of them.

Intersting article on them.

Please PM me if interested in going in on a half box of these with me.

Take care,

Geoff

Comment

Just for clarification, Geoff said the the 40% discount is only for the listed price of the fish.  The shipping cost per box and customs are fixed costs.

Raul
              Raul
              PokerFace

Comment

I'd be interested in some tropheus, but it would critical for me to know WHEN funds would be required.

If the timing & cost was acceptable, I would be interested in up to 15 or more of either trohpeus.

CF
                Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

At this point, it is my understanding that the money would be due at the end of this month.

I will confrim with Mike and find out for sure.

This deal is an awesome deal of a lifetime, for most of us.

I will let you know if anything is different.

Geoff

Comment

Here is the deal...

The money is due when the order is placed.  Mike, wants to place this order before it starts getting too cold.  This means we need to place our order by early December.

The fish on this list I posted are what is availible right now.  Any fish that you are interested in, that comes from anywhere on the Zambian Coastline will have to be captured.  If your wanting to place a special order for these fish, you need to decide before Thanksgiving, so that there will be time for the fish to be collected.

If we cannot get a 10 box order together before Mid-December, this order may end up being placed in Early March so that the weather is not cold.

Comment

Please forgive me for not re reading the thread and doing the math myself, but would you be so kind as to give me a ball park figure on what I would need to come up with for a max of 17 tropheus of either variety....

thanks

CF
                      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Steve,

A worst case price for 17 Tropheus would be that you were the only person importing those fish.  So, that would mean that you and Mike would split the $225 in shipping.  Each person is going to have to help with the Customs fees, which at this point looks like about $20 a person.

So already those 17 Tropheus are going to cost you $112.50 Shipping + $20 Customs + 17 x $7 ea. = $251.50

with that total cost, it will come to $14.80 per fish.

Now, lets say that 3 people also want those fish.  Then the shipping cost is split between 3 people and Mike, which will make your shipping cost reduce to $56.25.  This will bring your total down to $195.25

The new cost would be $11.49 per fish

So the key here is find a variant that more people are willing to go in on, and the price goes down.  Then if we get a lot of orders and get the 15 boxes we get a 40% list price discount.  That fish price will reduce from $7 each to like $4.20 each.

Right now there are 5 of us, and I am hoping to get atleast 10 people to make this really work really well for us.

Clear as mud or do I need to explain again?

Take care,

Geoff

Comment

Geoff,

Do you have a whole list? There are some people that might not ask about something if the don't see it there. This may help you reach your goal of 15 boxes.
                          Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                          Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                          Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Tim,

Right now the list I have posted is the 100% compelete list for what is availible right now.  Any fish from the Zambian Coastline only, can be collected by special order.  Just understand that you may be the only person wanting to import that box.  Here is the list again with Quanity per Box.  As soon as I get a confirmation from Mike on the pricing because some of the fish you have to Call Michelle (ACA) and get the price.  I will post the pricing as well.

Scientific/Trade Name of Fish                             Quanity
                            Altolamprologus calvus white                                 54
                            Altolamprologus compressiceps shell 5 pcs only
                            Benthochromis Tricoti large and juveniles                 14-18
                            Boulengerochromis microlepis small                  18
                            Boulengerochromis microlepis large                  56
                            Cyathopharynx foae Moliro                                  14-18
                            Cyphotilapia frontosa blue Zambia M/L.                  16-18
                            Cyphotilapia frontosa blue Zambia Large                  14
                            Cyphotilapia frontosa blue Zambia Xtra Large  10
                            Cyprichromis Leptosoma jumbo Isanga                  54-72
                            Cyprichromis Leptosoma jumbo mbita Island  36-54
                            Cyprichromis Leptosoma Chituta neon head                  54-72
                            Cyprichromis Leptosoma jumbo blue orchid                  54-72
                            Cyprichromis Leptosoma jumbo Chaitika                  36-54
                            Cyprichromis Leptosoma jumbo Mtoto 1:1 ratio 18 pairs  36
                            Ectodus Descampsii                                                  54
                            Haplotaxodon Microlepis                                  28-36
                            Lepidiolamprologus Profundicola                                  14-18
                            Julidochromis dickfeldi chipimbi                                  84
                            Julidochromis regani nsumbu gold                  84
                            Julidochromis transcriptus kapampa 1:1 ratio  84
                            Julidochromis transcriptus gombe 4 pairs only  84
                            Neolamprologus Calliurus Chaitika                  210
                            Opthamotilapia ventralis gombe                                  18-27
                            Opthamotilapia nasuta tiger                                  18-27
                            Opthamotilapia ventralis Kekese 5f/3m                  8
                            Paracyprichromis brieni Mbita Island                  36-54
                            Petrochromis famula blue fin                                  14-26
                            Petrochromis Polydon                                                  14
                            Petrochromis Trewavasae                                  14
                            Reganochromis calliurus                                   ?
                            Synodontis granulosus                                  14
                            Synodontis polli                                                  18-30
                            Synodontis petricola few only                                  30-60
                            Triglachromis otostigma                                  42
                            Tropheus chaitika                                                  56
                            Tropheus chilambo yellow rainbow                  56
                            Tropheus chimba                                                  56
                            Tropheus chipimbi                                                  56
                            Tropheus kachese                                                  56
                            Tropheus kala island 5f/3m only                                  8
                            Tropheus mpulungu                                                  56
                            Tropheus lufubu 1:1 ratio                                  56
                            Tropheus ilangi yellow                                                  56
                            Tropheus nkonde bright yellow                                    56
                            Tropheus ndole red                                                56
                            Xenotilapia flavipinnis gombe 8 pairs only                36-54
                            Xenotilapia flavipinnis katete 2 pairs only                36-54
                            Xenotilapia sima isanga                                28

Does anyone have a suggestion for making this a chart so it will work in HTML.  I am thinking of trying a jpeg, but I do not know if it will be able to be read that way?

Thanks,

GEoff

Comment

Actually, where I come from MUD is not that clear at all.....

I follow your formula for the most part, what I am unclear on is how many folks are actually looking at buying trophs......But, I'd like to be kept in the loop so when it comes time, I can make a decision and give you a commitment towards some more trophs.

If I, by some chance, end up owning a large acrylic tank, I will be looking for more fish to fill it with.... :)

Thanks

CF

Comment

Working...
                              X