Cold Fish...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Fish...

Did anyone experience any problems with the first really cold evening of the year this past Thursday night?  I hope not, but I sure did.

I have the majority of my tanks in my garage, which is seperated from the house and not to well insulated.....well why lie, its like swiss cheese there are that many holes.......LOL.  I checked my tanks and heaters before leaving for work Thursday night and got home around 8AM Friday.  I walk out to the garage to check on my tanks before going to bed and immediately I see one of my tanks, that holds my Red Empress male and Semi-adult females, with fish lying in the bottom on their sides of upside down.  

Man, I flew into action.  They were all stressed out in that tank I knew some were already gone.  I check the temp and it was like 56F degrees.  I immediately dumped some of the water and added some from another tank that was warmer, about 20% worth.  I tossed the heater that was in the tank and added two other heaters I had.  Added stress zyme.  For the next two hours, using a long plastic tool I use for reaching in the tanks, I gently kept the fish moving.  They would swim or try to swim away from me and lay sideways or upside down again.   I repeat this process for two hours as the water slowly warms up and I get colder.  I didn't want to move them to a warmer tank because I was afraid the immed. temp change would be too much for them and I would lose them all for sure.  

Out of 1 adult male and 12 others, I lost 4 of the others, 1 I got from Scott and 3 from someone else.  

I've been keeping a close eye on them and the rest are doing fine.  That was a close call.  I almost didn't go out to check on my tanks that morning, it was cold and I was tired and wanted to be under covers asleep.  

All other tanks have needed adjustments with the heaters, but no problems.

Raul
    Raul
    PokerFace

Re: Cold Fish...

Oh no!! Sorry to hear that! I just got my heaters last month for my garage tanks, and so far they're all doing great! It also helps that my garage is surrounded on two sides by the house.

It's great that you thought on your feet and were able to save the majority.

Ellen

Comment

Sounds like you did a great job of averting a total disaster.  My tanks are in the house so I'm not as subject to weather disasters as some.  But, I do keep extra heaters, filters and air pumps on hand because you just never know when you're going to need one.  Won't ich rear it's ugly head when the fish go through a sudden chilling or is that just a piece of outdated information I have stuck in my head  :? .
      Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

sounds like you took care of it before it got really bad.

my tanks are inside the house but we forgot to turn the heater on and the only tank without a heater is my RCS planted tank but by the time it got a little cold the lights kicked on and warmed it back up.

maybe a space heater of some sort or some heating lamps controlled by a temp gauge.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Currently, I have an electric space heater that protects my fish room temps from getting too low.

But what I really want is an old fashoned gas radiant heater that will work without electricity........
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I have a small five gallon tank that gets it's heat from the lighting system, at night it's been dropping down to 64ish and during the day will heat up to 72ish.

This is going to sound wierd but that is and has always been the lowest tech.. but the cleanest and most maintenance free tank I've ever owned.

Even now I have to clean the glass on the other tanks from time to time, and I add in all kinds of fertilizers and keep track of all kinds of crazy stuff.. seriously, on that five gallon, I do a bi-weekly water change/filter cleanup and with the exception of adding water treatment at the time of changing the only thing I put in the tank is fish food. There has never been a spot of algea on it and the water is always perfectly crystal clear and nothing has ever died in it due to temperature or whatever..
            Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
            Co-President of CAK

Comment

that's how my 2.5g is, the riccia and HM in there grows very nicely and all i do is add food for the RCS thats in there and i only do weekly water changes.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
              X