red thin worms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• red thin worms

My daughter's molly fish tank has developed some (30 +) very thin (hair thickness) red worms.  They are crawling around in the gravel.  The molly's (who are always hungry) do not appear to want to eat them.  The only thing I could find on the web is that they might be tubifex worms.

Has anyone had this happen before?  I do not know if I need to tear down the tank or just put some salt in the tank.

Here's some history:
    There has not been any new fish added to the tank for about 3 months.  One new plant about one month ago.  30 - 40% water change is performed either weekly or twice a month.  Last one was on 10/7/06.  They are feed a mixture of flake food that has tubifex in it.  I have four other tanks that get feed the same food and they do not have the worms.

Re: red thin worms

I'm pretty sure it's not the food. When water changes are done, is the gravel vacuumed?

Sorry I don't have more input. It's strange that the mollies don't eat them, though!
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Sorry... I don't have any answers but I do have a few questions.  Are they actually crawling or do they seem anchored in place and waving with the water movement?  How long are they?  Did you notice just a few at first and then they seemed to multiply? You don't mention how old your daughter is so this might not be applicable but she could take one to school and use a microscope to get a better look at it (and maybe the biology teacher could help identify it).

Until you know more about them, however, just be sure to practice good sanitary habits during and after tank maintenance, etc.  No hand-to-mouth kind of thing... especially if your daughter is very young.  And make sure she knows to wash her hands after working in the tank.

Comment

Without seeing them I am almost certain these are microfex worms. They are related to tubifex worms but red and smaller. They are common and something you may have acquired with plants. I looked for a link but did not find too much about them. They feed on detris on the bottom of your tank in the gravel. In some countries they are considered one of the best live fish foods. I cultured them for a while. The problems are that they tend to be disease harbingers ( TB ) and that I could never get enough of them for my guppies. They live on sewage in the wild so that is how they tend to pickup disease. If you do not have any problems in your tank now they are likely clean and will stay that way. They have a positive value as live food for carnivors in my opinion. Mollies tend to be omnivors.  Also they may break up the detris so it is removed better in your water changes. There is no right or wrong answer to your question it is a matter of experience and personal preference. They are often offered for sale at aquabid.

max

Comment

The worms are about one inch long.  If the fish touch them they can shrink to about 1/4 inch.   We just noticed them yesterday.   They seemed to have appear suddenly.  It is a small 5 gallon hex that sits on my daughter's desk (5th grader).  She is pretty observate of the tank (daydreaming versus home work) so I do not believe they have been there long.  Also after vacuuming the gravel we always look through the gravel to make sure no molly got baried.  They are not crawling that much, more of just hanging out vertically.  A few have one end sticking out of the gravel.  I looked more in the middle of the aquarium and do not see and heads or tails sticking up.  Not sure if they are hugging to the glass.

We tried to take a digital picture but our camera will not take a clear closeup.  We tried to capture one but they were quick to hide in the gravel.  I'll watch them for a few days and see if the mollies will eat them.  I'll vacuum a few out and take them to the HAS auction on Sunday to let you see them.

Thanks, Silvia

Comment

Sounds good. I probably can't help identify them, but I'll be there to look!  
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
            X