Easy Start Syphon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy Start Syphon

Easy start siphon: hook up your gravel vac tube to hosing. Position end of hose in spot where you would like it to drain (i.e., the yard, bathtub, toilet, bucket, etc.). Place gravel vac in tank and let it fill with water. Lift out of water upright and let water drain out into hosing until the gravel vac tube is about half-empty. Dunk gravel vac back under water upright, let fill with water, then turn upside down so the opening is facing the gravel. The suction should already be going, and you can just start vacuuming away! :)

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
    Easy start siphon: hook up your gravel vac tube to hosing. Position end of hose in spot where you would like it to drain (i.e., the yard, bathtub, toilet, bucket, etc.). Place gravel vac in tank and let it fill with water. Lift out of water upright and let water drain out into hosing until the gravel vac tube is about half-empty. Dunk gravel vac back under water upright, let fill with water, then turn upside down so the opening is facing the gravel. The suction should already be going, and you can just start vacuuming away! :)

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Somehow in the 2 years I have been maintaining tanks, I never was told about this trick. It inspired my latest youtube video. Thanks for the tip Mzungu!

This is a video showing how to start a siphon without using your mouth. Thanks to Mzungu at www.houstonfishbox.com for sharing this easy idea.Check out my o...
    Jarrod - Houston, Texas
    150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
    17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
    5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
    3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Comment

This is a GREAT tip. I can't believe this one isn't told to people more often.lol

Comment

good tip. been doing this for quite some time. although it doesn't work on my 1 1/4" drain hose since it doesn't have the additional gravel vac piece. Did you just learn this one MB?
        25g - Reef
        3.5g - Surge Tank
        10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Wow, my post was made into its own thread! Cool!

Yay me. Thanks, whoever did that, and I can't believe I missed it. I needed that today, lol.

I've been doing this since I got my first tank about 8-9 years ago. I don't even remember where/from whom I learned the tip! FYI, this was from before there were those FANCY 'self-start' gravel vacs. (I'm also one of those people that reads the instructions on things they buy - there's a little part of me that wants to say I read this on the instructions to my very first gravel vac. )
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

After I made the video, Traci made it into an article. She pm'd me about that. You are on youtube too!
            Jarrod - Houston, Texas
            150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
            17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
            5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
            3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Comment

Working...
            X