X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Need Advice on my Tank!

Need some advice

I lost one male Baenschi Benga to what I believe was bloat. And now I am about to lose a female Baenschi Benga. I think it might be bloat too (not eating, opening and closing mouth constantly, keeping to herself away from other tank mates, saw her sitting on bottom of tank this morning some).

All the other fish seem healthy to me (see video below). They all seem to eat when I feed. I have a 45 gallon tank for about 2 years now and have never had these issues. I change the water about every 2 to 3 weeks on this tank and everyone is great. This tank has 10 tiger barbs and 1 boesmani rainbow.

This is my first time keeping African Cichlids though and this was the very reason I was hesitant to keep them. Am I doing something wrong? Is the tank over stocked? Could there be something in my filters causing an issue? I’m so frustrated because there are so many different variable and I don’t want to lose anymore fish!

Tank Parameters:
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrites:0
    Nitrates: 2ppm

Tank Maintenance:
    I do a full maintenance on the tank once a month (Fish Gallery comes out to do it). Then in between their maintenance I will do a 50% water change. So essentially every two weeks the water is being changed.

Stress:
    Not much stress in the tank. Everyone seems to do fine but there was some aggression the other day with the Baenschi Bengas as there was some mating behavior going on.

Lights:
    I only have the lights on between 2 - 4 hours a day. And when they are on they are on a lower setting so it’s not as bright.

Food:
    I typically feed them twice a day, very small amounts (about 2.5 ml of pellets at each feeding). I am feeding them Northfin Cichlid formula, Northfin Krill, Bug bites and New Life Spectrum Cichlid formula.

Tank Mates:
    8 Copadichromis Azureus (6 males and 2 females)
    8 Protomelas Taeniolatus "Red Empress" Namalenje (4 males and 4 females)
    6 Baenschi Benga (4 males and 2 females)
    3 Blood Parrots
    2 Pictus Catfish
    1 Stuartgranti Maleri (male)
    1 Pleco
    1 Tiger Barb (I moved all the tiger barbs out but one was hiding and I didn’t see him until later. He is actually doing great in the tank and holding his own. Going to leave him for now.)

Tank size is 120 gallon
    I’m running eheim 2262 and a Trigger System Sapphire sump with bio balls, Refugium, sponges, filter floss and carbon (See video below)

Thanks in advance for the help!
Working...
X