Petrochromis black fins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrochromis black fins

I'll start with my setup then go into the possible issue.

60 gal tank 30x25x18
    2 aquaclear 70 filters (roughly 600GPH combined)
    1 heater keeping temps at 80-82°F
    1 fluval air pump Q1

Stock;
    1 male petrochromis trewavasae about 4"
    3 Neolamprologus multifasciatus shell dwellers
    1 Clown Pleco

Lots of lava rock and lace rock. Tank is fully cycled
    Ammonia = 0
    Nitrites = 0
    Nitrates = 20 - 40
    PH = 7.8
    Using API master test kit and seachem altert for the ammonia as a double checker.
    Feeding Ken's Premium Spirulina Garlic & Paprika Flake and Hikari Cichlid Excel Mini floating. He gets 2 Omega one veggie round a week.
    I do 50% water changes weekly.

OK so the possible issue is the petro had some black dots on the back of his fins and his side (on his body). He would twitch a bit and flash/itch. It appeared his jaw/under his mouth was itchy as he would try to scrape what would be his neck area. Noticed this behavior over the past two weeks and i've added API aquarium salt since. I started treatment with kordon copper aid 4 days ago. The black dots on the side of his body are gone and the dots on his fins. Issue now is he has black tips on his back fin and top fin and still flashes from time to time. The n. multis are not flashing, they also do not have any black fins or appear to have any issues. Is this the start of fin rot or some bacterial infection? If so will the copper treatment aid in something like this? I've attached a few pics, it was tough to get a good picture, 1st one is at a weird angle. If it's unclear ill get a video of this on youtube.

Thanks!

Attached Files

That's how they are supposed to look
    210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
    125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Ok thanks! This isnt my first petro to keep, i've kept a group of 12 in the past and although some are darker/lighter i've never had one with such a contrast on the tips of his fins. When i got him he defiantly didn't have fins with black tips, only visible really in the 1st picture. Ill get a better pic posted tonight. Was concerned and his fins are the only current visible change, not sure why he still flashes.

Comment

specifically

1.png

Comment

Working...
        X