DIY sump build for 29gal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY sump build for 29gal

This will be my second sump to build. They are a bit more complicated than is necessary but first one worked wonderfully.
    0808182146.jpg
    Here is the first one. 20 or 25 gal tank sorry pic was taken right before I disassembled it so no water and foam is removed. I had foam blocks under the socks and in the 2nd and 3rd compartment. The bio balls tumbled from the waterfall and also had air stones under the ceramic media airaiting and pushing them back up. The thin compartment after the bio has carbon that the water is pushed through. A small isolation tank then the return pump. The dividers where made from glass window panes I got from home depot. It ran flawlessly with a diy hob siphon.

For the new one I wanted something different than anything ide seen before and wanted to address the few issues I had with the old design.
    First was how it fed directly into the sock filters. I have Celestial Pearl dainos which are quite small and used to be small enough to slip between the fins of the weir and where beat by the down falling water until I noticed one missing or cleaned the sock. So with the new design the water falls into one compartment and fills a second before overflowing into the sock this will hopefully give any small fish or fry a place to hide with less turbulence as well as cause any heavy solids to stay at the bottom of the first compartment. Where they can simply be vacuumed out.
    Next I wanted the isolation area to also be a place to get plants started and possibly have a few permanent inhabitants. ( not sure yet something that likes some current) I also wanted as much of it faced forward as possible. So all the filtration happens on the far left and along the rear of the tank with the return pump on the far right.
    After many attempts at a design I came up with something I liked. It uses my old 29gal. For the panels I got cell cast acrylic 1/4. I plan to use acrylic solvent to join them and drop it the tank using silicone only where it touches glass. The lid is 3/8 white food grade plastic. ( don't remember exactly had for years now) it is a perfect fit I plan for it to be mostly air tight so I can try co2.
    Considering drilling the glass for an electrical and pump outlet bulkhead to minimize hoses and wires coming through the lid.

I have most the pieces cut already just waiting on the glue to come in the mail. More pics will soon follow. Attached is a quick model I threw together to make sure I had all the panels counted and measured
    0819181519.jpg0819181519a.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-19-22-18-42.jpg

0820182346a.jpg glue came in yesterday. Made it this far, my first time working with this stuff. I think its going pretty good. will be working on it more over the next couple days.

Comment

Working...
    X