Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

your thoughts on redundant filtration? DIY filtration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your thoughts on redundant filtration? DIY filtration?

i have learned that redundant filtration works best for me. i learned this on my classroom tanks, where i had no money so i had to do a "ghetto tank" - 3 ancient crusty (20 gal HOB) on a 40 breeder in an overstocked molly tank. i had to use what i had. total DIY job, dollar store plastic scrubbies for filter media, pillow stuffing, etc.

what are your thoughts on double filtration? DIY filtration?

I don't personally use multiple filters on my tanks but they're all generally small and not heavily stocked (a few 5's, a 10, and a 30 breeder). What I do tend to do is over-spec the filters and add sponge pre-filters to the intakes for additional bacteria surface area. I think it's perfectly acceptable for a DIY hack to use whatever filtration you have available as long as it doesn't compromise water quality. If you're at the point where the life could suffer because you can't afford proper/adequate filtration or care then I should think it's probably just not a good idea to maintain that kind of tank. Just to be clear, I don't mean to imply your situation was "wrong" in my estimation

Ultimately I think quite a bit boils down to what aesthetic concessions you're willing to make in saving a buck (or many bucks). Does it matter if the tank is "pretty" or is the product of the tank more important than the appearance?

Comment

Working...
    X