Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What NOT to do when making your own sump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What NOT to do when making your own sump...

I built my own sump system, works great... only problem... the siphon-break hole was the same size as the cichlid food when it isn't eaten and swells up with water... wasn't a problem with the fish were babies... little pellets.. bigger fish, bigger pellets.

During a bad storm, we had a power-outage, a pieces of now-larger food got stuck in the 2 (even had a backup) siphon breaks and I lost 20 gallons of a 90 gallon tank... what a mess.

LOL... oops.

drill a bigger siphone break on the outlet lol

Comment

I know the feeling... Lost power while I was at work and something had blocked the siphon break which proceeded to flood the sump. Had to try to explain to my hysterical wife what she needed to do to fix it and it ended up being a huge mess. She pulled off the return elbows instead of the drain elbows, left them off to the side and removed the drain elbows as well. When the power came back on I had a fish tank fountain in the dining room... She ended up unplugging everything, cussed me good and never has wanted anything to do with the aquarium ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X