Best All Around Aquarium Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best All Around Aquarium Size

What do people here think is the most ideal size aquarium a new hobbyist should consider and why ?

I think this may be one of those times Size doesn't really matter. Information is most important. If I have to choose it would be 55g . It is a larger tank and can keep those fish you thought were so cute. Ones they are grown. also I find taking care of a larger tank easier then a small tank and more forgiving to the fish in it. IMO...
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Well, it sort of depends on the fish you are choosing. A 10 gal tank is the common choice for just starting out, but is a bad choice if you are getting and oscar or gold fish. But it's great for guppies and similar small fish. If you are going for small fish, I would go with a 15 or 20 long as once set up and cycled, it will not need as much maintenance as a 10 gal. If you are going for larger fish or fish that grow larger, than the 55 is a good starter size.
      Guppies:
      Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
      Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
      HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

120 4 by 2 by 2.
        210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
        125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Any tank that is at least 18" front to back, shorter over taller. So.. 40g breeder, 56ish gallon 3'x18", 75g for smaller tanks. 12" or narrower tanks just don't let you do enough with decorations/scaping/planting.

Comment

180 gallon 6x2x2. I think I might just be a little biased since that's my show tank size, but I like the room for scaping and the amount of fish I can get in there. If I had my way, I'd have an aquarium big enough to swim in with the fish lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The bigger the aquarium, the easier to maintain, the parameters don't change as much, your fish have more room and an environment they are comfortable in, hence they stay healthier.

Having said that if you just start out, you have to control cost while you gain experience, just start with a small aquarium and upgrade over time.

I would try to get aquarium that is longer , deeper (front to back) rather than taller top to bottom. They are better for your fish movement and for you to clean and decorate.

Comment

Originally posted by rage View Post
                The bigger the aquarium, the easier to maintain, the parameters don't change as much, your fish have more room and an environment they are comfortable in, hence they stay healthier.

Having said that if you just start out, you have to control cost while you gain experience, just start with a small aquarium and upgrade over time.

I would try to get aquarium that is longer , deeper (front to back) rather than taller top to bottom. They are better for your fish movement and for you to clean and decorate.
                Good answer rage. I think a 40 gallon breeder is a good starter tank for a newbie as long as you only get fish that are suited to a tank that size and double your filter rating to at least 80 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The biggest size you can fit in the space you plan to put it at. For me, I think a 125/135 6fter is perfect.

Comment

75 Gallon tank is perfect without getting to big. You can do most any regular size fish and type of aqua scape.

Have been running 75's since 94.

48x18x21

Comment

I would say a 75 to 90 is a good one to start out on. Salt or fresh. As previously stated the larger it is, the easier it is to maintain. However the larger it is, the more expensive it is too. Alot of new hobbiests don't want to drop big$ on a tank, especially if they do not know what they are doing and do not have alot of respect and understanding of how long things take.
                      "And she was lost at sea... I think she would like that"

Comment

75G. Not too big and not too small.
                        010G Long fin BN grow-out
                        020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                        020G Leulepi grow-out
                        020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                        030G Leulepi breeder
                        030G SRD FlowerHorn
                        040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                        090G Tangs community
                        100G Tangs community