No announcement yet.

Back from research...verifying what I learned about tank size and aggression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back from research...verifying what I learned about tank size and aggression

I hope I can ask a few more questions?

The first cichlids that caught my eye were flowerhorn, jaguar, fenestratus and Texas. From what I can tell, my 75 gallon tank is too small for a pair of any of these. Is this always the case? Even when purchased really young and raised together?

Are these particularly difficult to find our Houston area fish shops?

Given their aggression, what do you do for algae control?

thanks a bunch,

andy

So I like to start off with juveniles and watch them grow see their different attitudes fish are like people even within the same species you could have one cichlid very aggressive and another of the same non aggressive I have had tis happen to me before but if it was me and starting a 75 gallon tank I would get about 10 different cichlids whatever you are looking at and watch them for a couple of months and see which ones you want to keep.

Comment

I think you are fine with 75G for a pair. It's best to acquire a group of 4-6 and grow them out. Then you can pick out the best male and female you want to keep. Except for fenestratus, I've seen other 3 at LFS from time to time. I think bristle nose pleco will do fine with them. I have some BN with my adult FH without any problem (as long as I keep him well fed).
      010G Long fin BN grow-out
      020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
      020G Leulepi grow-out
      020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
      030G Leulepi breeder
      030G SRD FlowerHorn
      040G Hongi Sweden breeder
      090G Tangs community
      100G Tangs community
      150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Fish are neat because each one is different. I can tell you from experience that a pair of Jags is not a good idea in a 75. The others could work, but I would make sure to have a divider on hand in case things get ugly. Those should all be readily available locally, be it on forums or in shops. As far as algae, you can sometimes get away with small bristlenoses, but if you keep up on water changes and keep your tank out of direct sunlight, you could avoid algae altogether

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Working...
        X