Saltwater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saltwater?

I found a really good deal on 90 gallon complete saltwater set-up but have never done salt water. I have had a cichlid 92 corner for 2 years and it has been going well. What do I need to know about saltwater. For instance can I use tap water for water changes or do I have to use RO/DI water? Will the RO/DI affect water hardness? I guess I just need to know what I would be getting into from going from fresh water to Saltwater care.

Do Not Use Tap Water

Comment

If you don't have a ro/di system , you can always buy drinking water , that have the windmill that that sell like 5g for $1.75 but the only problem is driving and loading it to the car is the hard part.

Comment

Get an RODI now, the cost is nothing compared to the convenience and quality safety it guarantees you

Comment

Originally posted by tommyvo View Post
          If you don't have a ro/di system , you can always buy drinking water , that have the windmill that that sell like 5g for $1.75 but the only problem is driving and loading it to the car is the hard part.
          The water from wind mill is RO water, not RO/DI. that is a bad decision to buy water from there. For a 90g tank, one should own a RO/DI water system.

Comment

My bad I mean ro water and true I end up using the wind mill for a while due to my rodi system only get 1g of good and 4g of bad water

Comment

Originally posted by tommyvo View Post
              My bad I mean ro water and true I end up using the wind mill for a while due to my rodi system only get 1g of good and 4g of bad water
              That's how it works. to get 100% pure water there must be some waste water.... use it to water your plants do your laundry or run it down the drain. Having your own system costs less/ gallon and gives you the 0 TDS water that is best for reef aquaria

Comment

Originally posted by Roshan8768 View Post
                That's how it works. to get 100% pure water there must be some waste water.... use it to water your plants do your laundry or run it down the drain. Having your own system costs less/ gallon and gives you the 0 TDS water that is best for reef aquaria
                Yeah getting the upgrade kit to 150 then build me a water stations later on when I get the money

Comment

So any one have an ro/di system for sale

Comment

Do a lot of research before you begin doing saltwater. It takes a lot of time, money and patience to have a saltwater tank. Iv only been in the hobby for about 4 years and have lost a lot of money by not doing things the right way. However it is an awesome hobby. Good luck! You should join marsh-reef.org as it is a marine and reef society, you can probably gain more info there to help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep joined the marsh already. It's a turn key 90 gallon system for $100 in excellent condition its to good to pass up....the guy has had it for 7 years......the only thing is he has used tap water for water changes....so if I want to do anything besides fish I will need to replace substrate and live rock....so as of right now just going to move it to my house..and maybe add a fish or two it already has two clown fish...then in the mean time going to keep my eye for a used or/di system.

Comment

Working...
                      X