HLC Presents: The Livebearers of Houston, a Collection Trip at Lake Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HLC Presents: The Livebearers of Houston, a Collection Trip at Lake Houston

We are pleased to announce the Houston Livebearer Club's next meeting! This will be a collection trip at Alexander Duessen Park located at Lake Houston, and we will discuss the livebearers of Houston.

For everyone 17 and older, a license is required in order to collect. For those who don't have a license, day licenses are $11 and year licenses are $47. Do you have to have a license in order to come to the event? Not at all! You only need a license if you plan to collect any fish. You don't have to collect at this event. Simply come out, hang out with us and have a great time!

This will be a completely outdoor event, and our co-host, Darla McKenna Gips will be bringing along a canopy for shade. You are more than welcome to bring food and drinks if desired and will certainly be appreciated. Also, this is an all-day event from 9AM - 5PM, so feel free to come and go as you please. The discussion on the meeting's topic will start at 11AM. This event is FREE to all.

Lastly, we will post more details as the date approaches. We hope to see you there!

Address:
    Alexander Deussen Park
    12303 Sonnier St.
    Houston, Texas 77044

Here is a link to the event (for those who also use Facebook): https://www.facebook.com/events/499076713635450/
    Last edited by Brandon O'Brian; 06-13-2016, 10:57 PM.
    ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something
    fishy going on here, and I kinda like it!

Co-hosts for this event:

Brandon O'Brian, President of Houston Livebearer Club
    Lindsy Bounds, Vice President of Houston Livebearer Club
    Darla McKenna Gips, Member of Houston Livebearer Club

Remember, the event is on June 18th from 9AM - 5PM, and will be at Alexander Duessen Park located at Lake Houston. We hope to see you there!
    Last edited by Brandon O'Brian; 06-11-2016, 03:25 PM.
    ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

Here are examples of all the lvebearing species found at Lake Houston.

The species are:

Gambusia affinis
      Poecilia latipinna
      Heterandria formosa

All three species make great aquarium fish, and H. formosa is actually a great species for shrimp tanks!

Attached Files
      ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

For those who are interested in collecting at this event, and don't have a license, this should be helpful in terms of pricing. On top of these, there is a lifetime package which is $1,000. I apologize for the blurriness.

Anyone 17 and older must have a valid license in order to collect. There may be a license check for those who are thinking about collecting. The game warden shows up every five seconds at the location where this event is going to be held, and I don't want anyone to get into any trouble.

Do you have to have a license in order to come to the event? Not at all! You only need a license if you plan to collect any fish. You don't have to collect at this event. Simply come out, hang out with us and have a great time!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Brandon O'Brian; 06-13-2016, 10:42 PM.
        ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

Chairs! Bring chairs! Unless you want to sit in the itchy grass where the chiggers and ants can get you. Believe me, that's not a fun experience.
          ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

It will be hot on Saturday, so bring anything needed to keep you as cool and hydrated as possible. I will be there early to do my best to choose a spot with shade of some kind, and Darla will be bringing a canopy for further shade. Also, be sure to bring sunscreen as well as insect repellent, in case there are mosquitoes.
            ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

REMINDER:

Like what's stated in the first post, anyone 17 and older must have a valid fishing license if you wish to collect. A license is NOT required to attend, but is required in order to collect. Do you have to collect at the event? Of course not!

If you do not have a license, one can be purchased at Walmart or at a variety of other places like Academy for example. Day passes are $11 and year packages are $47.
              ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

Here is a good site containing fish found in and around Houston. I know that quite a bit of fish listed are found at Lake Houston.

​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

The meeting and collection trip is tomorrow! Please be there by 11 AM if you'd like to be there for the topic discussion as well.
                  ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

Working...
                  X