Setting up a 90-gallon tank for large orandas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a 90-gallon tank for large orandas

I recently bought a 90-gallon tank at an auction for a second hand store that went out of business. It is a nice tank, but that is all it is...just a glass tank. I have tested it for leaks, but it has proven to be water tight. I need every accessory that is required to run such a tank and I'm a little new at this. I'd like to find out exactly what I'm going to need to get this thing going, and to run efficiently enough that I won't have to worry about experiencing any unpleasant odors emanating from the tank, as my room-mate has already warned me that it would have to go if he smells it once.

I would like to run one of the under gravel filters, and I plan to get several orandas of varying size, with at least 2 very large ones, along with a couple of plecos and algae eaters, and a few catfish to clean the tank. I thought I'd start the process of getting the environment set up by getting a few small orandas. What is all the equipment I will need? And how many of the small orandas should I start with and how long will it take them to get the water ready for the larger and more expensive fishes?

Thanks in advance,
    Bryan
    AKA, OrandaLover
    Last edited by OrandaLove; 03-30-2016, 09:23 AM.

Firstly, you should give the tank time to cycle before adding fish. You can find someone with established filter media, which will greatly speed up the process. I would also look into some type of external filtration, maybe an Aquaclear HOB or Eheim canister, as Orandas do require a little extra filtration. The tank temperature should be somewhere between 65 and the low 70s, so you may or may not need a heater. Glass tops will help prevent evaporation. Lights are good for viewing, but not exactly necessary unless you're growing plants as well. All that said, I would hold off on purchasing the Orandas until the tank is cycled. Once the tank is ready, add the fish.

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Working...
    X