How to help with Dwarf Gourami aggression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to help with Dwarf Gourami aggression

In my other post I talked about putting a female gourami and female betta together. So the female gourami and the female betta are getting along fine in the twenty gallon. There is some posturing as a show of dominance. One will swim up to the other (normally the gourami) to get the other to swim away. The gourami will look like she is biting but it does not damage the betta's delicate fins so it might be that kiss thing they do. We are planning to combine our twenty gallon tank with our 16 gallon tank into a forty gallon breeder (still in cycling process). The problem is that means adding a male dwarf gourami to the mix.

The male dwarf gourami we have is a bit aggressive. He is constantly taking swipes at the cherry barbs that are in his tank and sometimes making contact and leaving marks (they still try to school with him regardless). We put him in the twenty gallon to see what would happen. He was instantly afraid of the betta and he and the female became fast friends and the female kept propositioning him and he looked uncomfortable. He tried to quickly build a bubble nest but was unable to due to current (the top water in the 16 and 20 are not still could that cause aggression?) We moved the female betta to the 16 gallon for bio load reasons. The next day the male dwarf gourami would viciously chase the female dwarf gourami anytime she would go up for air so we had to switch the gourami and the betta back.

Would him being in the forty breeder make a difference?

Could he hurt the female betta or would she put him in his place?

Would him being able to make a nest make him more chill?

If we can't control his aggression aside from getting rid of him we could move him to the 10 gallon and move the second female betta to the forty breeder. This leads to the question: can a female dwarf gourami be part of and/or be queen of a betta sorority? Would she count as the 3rd betta or would we need more?

twenty gallon:
    1 female betta
    1 female dwarf gourami
    7 black neons
    5 false julii cory cats

sixteen gallon:
    1 male dwarf gourami
    7 cherry barbs 2 male 5 female

ten gallon:
    1 female betta
    5 dwarf cory cats (would the male dwarf gourami hurt these?)

Every tank will have different pecking order dynamics. It is a function of the personalities of the fish plus the amount of individual territory space. Plants, rocks, wood all can help. However, this male dwarf gourami has both turf protection and breeding desires. You may want to breed the gouramis for fun.

Mike

Comment

I agree with Mike. You should try to breed them for fun.

Would him being in the forty breeder make a difference?
      No, it will not change. Gourami's tend to be less aggressive in larger groups of their own kind.

Could he hurt the female betta or would she put him in his place?
      Yes, not only could he hurt her but could stress her to death.

Would him being able to make a nest make him more chill?
      No, breeding will only make him more aggressive.

can a female dwarf gourami be part of and/or be queen of a betta sorority?
      No she will be queen of the tank. But the betta's will have their own.

Would she count as the 3rd betta or would we need more?
      No, she would be a member of the tank but she is not a Betta. In order to have a true batta you would need more. In a 40g about 8. all together.

I have had a large group in my angel tank. About 20.
      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Gouramis need a bubble nest to breed that might not be possible in an aquarium with water movement.
        010G Long fin BN grow-out
        020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
        020G Leulepi grow-out
        020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
        030G Leulepi breeder
        030G SRD FlowerHorn
        040G Hongi Sweden breeder
        090G Tangs community
        100G Tangs community
        150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

You could try to keep the male a bit cooler. Higher temps will trigger them to get in mating-mood.

Comment

Temperature

Originally posted by DoubleDutch View Post
            You could try to keep the male a bit cooler. Higher temps will trigger them to get in mating-mood.
            That is one "cool" answer!

Mike

Comment

Hot question deserves a cool answer!
              010G Long fin BN grow-out
              020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
              020G Leulepi grow-out
              020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
              030G Leulepi breeder
              030G SRD FlowerHorn
              040G Hongi Sweden breeder
              090G Tangs community
              100G Tangs community
              150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
                No, she would be a member of the tank but she is not a Betta. In order to have a true batta you would need more. In a 40g about 8. all together.

I have had a large group in my angel tank. About 20.
                Is it ok to have a sorority with the black neons and cherry barbs? I hear that they will some times gang up on a fish and hurt it. With two full grown females what size should the others females be? Read its best to get them when they are young. Should we be worried about the betta's going after the female gourami?

Comment

Working...
                X